Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What to do ? WHat to do?

Okay.. My step daughter keeps coming here on her scheduled weekends with head lice. Her mom doesnt take care of her. The mom doesnt have a stable house to live in, just recently got a job, ste daughter doesnt stay with the mom, she lives every where besides with her mom. AND WE PAY THE MOM CHILD SUPPORT.. She has missed over 40 days of school , due to lice, social services has been called on the mom by the school.And step daughter says my mom said for you to do my hair. ANd of course I do it but she should be dishing out money because we pay her for dd.We have spent so much on this head lice.. WHen my husband picks her up he smells a strong order the minute he gets out his truck. The mom takes the child support we pay her for step daughter and gives it to the person that her little boy lives with, because she pays child support on him. We just dont know where to begin with this. Step daughter is on my dh name, hes on the birth certificate. And they have no custody agreement. Child support is paid to the mom and NOT the state. Over here, we have everything she would need...Lights , water, food bed, etc.. THINGS THAT SHE HAS TO WORRY ABOUT WITH HER MOM.. ANy advice on where to begin in the State of Louisiana

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (13)
  • go for custody that girl need a good home if mum cant give it them i think yous should i'm a custodal step mum i am rasing my 2 step kids its not easy but we the best home for them

    Answer by feralkitten at 7:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • Get a lawyer and file for child custody. Document all of times she has been to the house with head lice and does he pay with money orders? he should so there will be a record of these payments. you should try to get the school's record of how many days she has missed and have that filed with the court as well. They will conduct a home study on the woman and they will probably consider the child living with you and her father. good luck.

    Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • Thanks. We pay through check..Lawyers are expensive. Like $3000 up front. Right now, not a possibility..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • Is there a court order saying he has to pay child support? If not then when the child comes over you can clothe and feed her with that money and send her home with groceries and clothes. Keep the receipts of everyhing you buy her.

    Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • ok what about cps have you talked to them is the case open are they thinking of taken the girl away maybe you can get her that way
    if there not an open case maybe they can open one

    Answer by feralkitten at 7:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • you said there no custody agreement maybe you should check law in your state and see if you need to send her back to the mum or not . i know in the uk if a couple is married and had a kid legal the mother just cant say she taken the kid as until they been to court and got a custody agreement dad or mum can keep the kid

    i also check to see if you need a lawyer or if you can just do it threw family court were dh and the mum go in front of a judge and plead there case without lawyers . but again you have to check your laws


    Answer by feralkitten at 7:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • I know she had to take parenting classes at one point and kept blaming step daughter for it. Step daughter does not want to leave when she is here. Because in all reality she has NO HOME to go back to. Her moms sister and her moms sisters husband want to testify againt her. Her OWN SISTER wants to. Can you believe that? So that tells you something is going on. Everytime dh confronts his ex about it. She tells him not to listen to her sister or brother n law. But if we could afford a lawyer we would already have her. mIt just sickens me that a 10 year old is having to live this way. They got out of the court system over 1 year ago and we pay the mother child support.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • They have no custody agreement.. That is what we are wanting to do..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • at what age in your state dose a child have a say in where they live

    Answer by feralkitten at 7:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

  • I believe its 13.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.