Does your mother in law need to back off too?

I'm on the phone with her and there is a knock at the door. She say's is everything ok? I tell the guy at the door. OMG I'm sorry I forgot about our appointment come on in. She starts to PANIC "are you ok, whos there? whats going on?" then I hang up with her

and she calls back and says "is everything ok? what happened who was it is there a problem with the house? I'm not trying to be nosey" lol OK YEAH RIGHT so then she gets pissed at me for not telling her my business. Then says "I was talking to aunt mary about something I want to talk to you about but right now isn't the time"

She always saves shit for holiday's and birthdays then brings up some drama and completely ruins the whole day! I'm going to play possum on mothers day.

Anyone else have this problem?

myownhappiness

Asked by myownhappiness at 7:27 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I used to feel like my ex MIL needed to back off....of a cliff.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 7:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• my ex MIL was that was especially after the sun went down and the bottle went up. (im not being crass I love/loved this woman for years it was a very love/hate thing with us) I eventually had to tell her to tone it down and back it up I couldnt take it anymore. Even after I left my ex she still called me four times a day usually between ten at night and five in the morning and god forbid I didnt answer she would call back to back until I answered (for hours). she once called the police and reported me missing because I didnt answer (she lied to them and said she hadnt heard from me in days). But then again this is the woman who called the police and told them I had kidnapped her grandson when I left her son. When they showed up at my new house looking for him and couldnt find him the giant prego belly led them to a few conclusions of their own.
    Newfie_Mom

Answer by Newfie_Mom at 7:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• lol
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 7:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

• if my MIL backed-off any more, she'd be dead. we moved 4 1/2hrs from her almost a year ago, and she's just now thinking of coming for a visit..in a few months, maybe.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:33 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Lucky lady
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 7:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• lol omg someone has/had issues mine wants custody of mine lol even though I'm a perfectly fit mother. She just wanted 9 kids and had to stop at 2 and tries to snatch anyones baby that she gets close to
    myownhappiness

Comment by myownhappiness (original poster) at 7:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yeah, dh agrees, too! She has always been used to controling her husband and her kids(dh & his sister) When I came along, I finally stood up to her and she backed off, some. But, of course she can't contain it long. So, I have learned to "play" her way, if I don't agree or like something she says, I let her know. She would be so happy to run every aspect of my household, but it is not going to happen!! She expects everyone to drop whatever they have planned if she decides she wants to do something that involves my family. She pouts and calls my dh to try and get her way. Doesn't work that way, she just keeps fussing until the next thing comes along. I could go on all night!!!!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yeah, my MIL is a control freak who is super nosey. It really hacks her off that she can't control every aspect of our lives. Really, I try to keep her out of my life as much as possible.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My MIL was awful until DH pulled his head out and we drew some serious boundaries. It took a few years and a pretty long break from his parents, but it was really worth it in the end. On holidays she used to take my seat when I'd get up just to get between DH and I, she would beg DH to order for her at restaurants, steal his jacket pretending she was cold, and when we would be walking somewhere she would get in front of me and slow down til I had to choose between stepping on her or letting her between DH and I. Before DH and I moved in together he was avoiding her calls and when when we didn't hear her at the door she came knocking on MY bedroom window, ew. Once we added a baby to that situation I finally said this crap has to stop or I'm gone... and he put an end to it. It about broke her heart, but she got over it and is very respectful nowadays and has become an important part of my girls lives.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 11:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• DH's parents are deceased, so no, I don't have this problem. My *ex* MIL used to do this, though. I remember being on the phone with her once when some fire trucks were going by - she freaked and assumed it was our house burning down. Um, no. Another time they couldn't get a hold of me on the phone (hello, dial-up Internet!) so they freakin' drove over. Sooooo glad to be done with that wacko family.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:52 PM on May. 5, 2011