OK when you get your hair cut at someone's house who has a business in thier home and you don't get a receipt, do you still give them a tip?

And actually I have been at salons where they don't ring it into the cash register either, do you still tip them?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:27 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• My stylist owned her own business and did not like being tipped, I think if the money is theirs and they are not depending a tip as part of their income then it is fine not to tip. I asked a friend who is a message therapist and at work she depend on the tip to supplement her income but when she come to my house all the money is hers so she said she does not expect a tip. Hope this helps.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:00 PM on May. 4, 2011

• yeah. It has nothing to do with whether it is rung up or if you get a receipt. Hair styling is still a service industry where tips are considered good etiquette.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I believe that a tip is only for an exceptional job. Personally, I pay the set fee for getting my hair done, that is what the stylist has earned. Anything extra that I pay is based on how pleased I am with the entire service and should never be expected by any service industry employee. If you expect to get paid $40, don't charge me $30 and get mad when I don't pay you the extra $10, charge me the $40 and be happy that you got what you wanted.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Of course.

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, I do. What they choose to do with their funds is not my business. ~ That's as long as I am totally happy with my hair. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Of course. They still did a service whether there was a receipt or not.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• the only time you might get a receipt is if all monies (within the salon) go into one register's bank. i've only worked for myself, independently boothrenting, so no one ever got a receipt. its a huge 'cash' business. that's one reason self-employment taxes are so high.
    you can tip anyone you receive a service from, be it a hairdresser or your lawn-guy or your grocery bagger.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am not really sure what a receipt has to do with a tip. I think you tip, period. The stylist still provided a service to you.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 7:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I always tip, I work off tips so I figure it's good Karma :)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:55 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes you tip...if the business is in her home, it's her business, yes she keeps all the profit as the owner, but she like any business owner has overhead as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:55 PM on May. 4, 2011