• In the Spotlight:

birthing balls

Has anyone used a birthing ball to help labor progress? If so, did it work? and what exactly did you do? Please any tips will be helpful, Thanks!

patientlyw8ing

Asked by patientlyw8ing at 7:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I did, but I hated it. I just sat on the edge and kind of bounced on it. It took some of the pressure off my back and put more on my cervix. I was on an IV though, so it kind of was hard to position because the tubing was short on my IV. That was mostly the problem. I had to sit in just the right position and also just in the one area of the room.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i had a hard time with it. i preferred the birthing chair and water tub. i guess the ball just wasn't comfortable

I really didn't use the ball at all, because within the first two minutes of being on it, I was like, f*ck this. sorry i can't help. look into a birthing chair..
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I LOVED the birthing ball while I was in labor. I had awful back labor, and it kept the pressure off my back. You may also be able to take it in the shower with you, combining my two favorite ways to take the edge off the pain while I was in labor. Most of the time, though, I sat on the ball, and grabbed the rails on the bed or my hubby's hands (poor guy!) through the contractions, and I rocked myself between them once I got into active labor. I would recommend trying it out, and seeing if it works for you. Also, check to see if the hospital provides them. The one I delivered at does, which certainly saved us room in the car!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008