How many of you moms are in college?

I have been thinking about going back to college because I never finished or earned a degree. I have never had a good job or decent pay so I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go for a degree. Any of you in college as adults? What's it like being an adult in college, and raising a family at the same time? Do you work while going to college?

twigirl30

Asked by twigirl30 at 8:01 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• I just finished Culinary College. I loved it! I had my husband watch our son for half of the time and then my grandma did for free so that helped out a lot! No I was not working while I was in college either. I was pregnant the whole time and it didn't mess anything up. I graduated with a 3.09 GPA!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am 33 and take classes, though I don't know what I am working towards. I just take what interests me.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 8:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Good for you for thinking about education. You can never stop learning. I'm 50 years old and have attend our local community college part time and full time over the past 5 years. I will be graduating this August with an Associates Degree in General Education and then I'm starting in August for an Associates Degree in Medical Assisting. I started when my daughter was getting ready to graduate from high school. She will be 26 the 25th of this month. I was a single parent who worked full time and then went to part time. I would work weekends 12 hr night shifts. I married 4 years ago and my husband supported me staying in school. I'm rasising his 2 children that we took custody of in july of 2009. There are a lot more older people going to school for an education some for more money and some just because they like to learn. Good luck to you whatever you choose.
    honey1754

Answer by honey1754 at 8:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Go for it! I do it and work nights, it's hard but doable. If you have a DH/SO that can help with childcare then it will easier. ( I'm a single mother) but it's definately still possible. If you have a DH/SO then work part time and go to school.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It can be hard at times because of the studying that you have to do, but it is so worth it. I just received my bachelors and am so proud of it. I will further my education to get my masters. I did it online while working full time and raising my daughter. The University of Phoenix is really good. they have a great support systems and you can get breaks as well.
    MommyDimples

Answer by MommyDimples at 8:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I just finished in April for Massage Therapy. Took me 2 yrs full time and I only have 1 kid that is 5. My hubby worked during the day and I went to school in the evening. If he had to work late my mother took him. Studying was a pain because it was hard to find quiet time. Lots of late nights and now I can't adjust now that I am done!!! I'll be 27 this year and there were lots of people that were older than me attending. Go For It!! It's worth it to have something to call your own
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Ask about grants and scholarships too!

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have an engineering degree that I got right out of high school, but I recently decided to return to college for various reasons. My DH is home with the kids while I am at school and then works full time in the evenings. I also work part time on the weekends. It is a little crazy, but at 34 years old I am NOT the oldest in my classes. It is difficult, but definitely doable.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, yes, and yes. I went back as a single parent with a two-year-old. I did not work. A program called bootstrap helped with my housing. I ended up with a BIG loan balance. It was definitely worth it though. I knew I was never going to be able to support my kiddo working for minimum wage. I couldn't even figure out how I'd be able to pay the childcare costs on minimum wage.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 3:19 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I am pursuing my bachelor's in Child and Family Development and I am loving it. The school is online which means I get to stay home with my two kids and I still find time to do homework when they are down for naps or after they go to bed. Occaisionally I can even study while they play nearby. I think it's definitely worth it, but you have to choose what type of schooling is best for you and your life. If online school appeals to you, check out apus.edu. It the public version of the online college for the US Military. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 11:51 PM on May. 5, 2011