If I threw up hours later, does that mean it's going to have less of a chance to work?

First of all I'm past my due date, second of all I know the risks that many women swear by when using castor oil. My doctor actually recommended it to me to avoid induction at the hospital. I won't go into detail about my situation, there are just a few facts.

Anyway, I made an orange juice shake with 2 ounces of castor oil. I didn't feel anything strange until about 3 hours into it. I threw up a great deal (mostly looked like what I had eaten BEFORE drinking the shake...gross, I know!). Does this mean if it had any chance of working to start contractions that now there's no chance? I mean if I'm throwing up what I ate before I drank it, that makes me think I'm throwing up the drink as well. Anyone have any personal experiences they'd like to share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• GOD WHY DID YOU DO THAT!!!!!!!!!! I AM A WEEK AND A FEW DAYS LATE BUT I WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!!!!! GOD!!!!!!!!!

I KNOW SO MANY WOMEN WHO HAVE HAD STILLBIRTHS *AND WERE HEALTHY* AFTER THE FACE, NO!!!

NEVER UNDERSTOOD PEOPLE DOING THAT

I'D CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:15 PM on May. 4, 2011

• FACT* NOT FACE, SORRY
    khf22

• shruggingHonestly, that is unhealthy, and I would go to the ER. 

Anonymous

• Risk is that it is an emetic, not only for you but also for your baby. If it causes him to pass meconium in the amniotic sac, there is a risk of infection to the baby (he "breathes" it into his lungs along with the fluid and it causes an infection). I know a few midwives who have spoke of this about a stillbirth caused by this. It is not good. Call Dr. Prayers to your baby and You
    Anonymous

• You can avoid an induction by TELLING your doctor that you want to wait on your baby to be ready. Your doctor can not force you to do anything and if it was medically necessary to be induced than your doctor wouldn't have recommended caster oil. It is very unheathy and even worse for your baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• honestly if your dr. recommended you do that you need to get a new dr. because that is very dangerous. and you do realize that 42 weeks is still considered 'normal', so unless you're over 42 weeks, you're not 'overdue'.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I seriously doubt your OB/Doctor recommended you to use castor oil to start labor. You need to go to the hospital.

Anonymous

• If throwing up was good enough reason for me to go to the ER I'd have been there many times while pregnant due to morning sickness! I feel perfectly fine and little one is moving like she normally does around this time. Thank you for no one actually answering my question!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Well the choice to take it has already been made..... 3 hours is plenty of time for it to get through your system I would think. I have heard it made people nauseous and vomit. I would call L&D and tell them what happened to make sure they aren't concerned.
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• UM... DON'T YOU THINK VOMITTING IS A RED FLAG? I ALREADY TOLD YOU MANY STILLBIRTHS HAVE BEEN REPORTED.
    YOU SHOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL!!!!!!! SINCE YOU DON'T PLAN ON IT, I HOPE YOUR BABY IS OKAY!!!!! NOT SAYING ANY
    OF THIS TO SCARE YOU, BUT ITS VERY DANGEROUS LIKE THE PREVIOUS POSTERS SAID! GO!!!

THE ANSWERS ARE MEANT TO HELP YOU, NOT HURT!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:29 PM on May. 4, 2011