Time to cut my parents out of my life for awhile? adult content

Where do I start My parents treat my middle sister better than me. When I was living with my mom as a teen I paid for all my bills, food, clothes, cell phone, and rent. My sister has 2 jobs and pays for nothing. My mom never celebrated any of my achievments like high school graduation and college graduation. Yet they are planning a dinner party for my sister's high school graduation. My dad(parents are divorced) never showed up to either of my boy's births and when I had emergency surgery and was stuck in the hospital for a week he never showed his face. He neglects my sisters just throws them cash sometimes and that is it! Both of my parents did not even show up to my son's 3rd birthday it was his first real party!! I told my mom a month before hand and she makes plans with her friends a week before the day and tells me she cannot cancel her plans she has reservations! Well I tell my dad how I feel and how he needs to spend time with my sisters and he keeps saying the past is the past and starts telling me how I need to grow up. I get mad at him and tell him how his girlfriend needs to grow up and let him spend time with my sisters and if he wants to choose her over my kids and me then that is fine. He says OKAY! So I hang up on him and when he calls back my husband answers the phone and basically tells him off. My dad gets mad and tells my mom that I am not allowed to my sister's 18th birthday! So now they are all turning they're backs on me. Funny that my mom actually listens to him when he lies and talks smack about her all the time! Even his girlfirend talks about my mom and she has not even met her! So I am wondering if I should just cut them out of my life for awhile? There is plenty more that they have done like my father stealing money from us because he is on drugs and my mom sleeping around and when I caught her she called me a B****! I never called her out of her name yet she does it to me.

I

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• yikes!!! talk about drama. i would definetly take a break. thats too much to deal with. you have to be stressed to the max! take a breather and dont answer your phone for a while!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 8:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry. I do not think you should cut them out. Just don't expect anything. And be happy if you get something.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have parent drama like that and I took a break from my parents. It was just easier. I talked to them, but it was just chit chat, how are you, blah blah blah. I have just in the past month started to talk to my mom again. I still don't have alot to say to her. My feelings are still hurt, but it helped me to get myself together a while before I said something that I would have regretted. Good luck,
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 10:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thank you ladies! I am so close to moving out of state! We need to save up enough money though first.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Sorry you have to go through this, but you need a break from your family. You have your kids and husband. It sounds like your parents need to grow up.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• You can always distance yourself without there being an official "cut off." Back off for your own peace of mind until you come to terms with the hand you were dealt.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 10:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I had to take a time out from my family, mostly my mom, a few years ago. Some of the reasons were similar, though not as many/deep/complicated, so I can only imagine how much this is effecting you right now. I hate advising counseling, because some people still have a stigma, but I went back to therapy when things escalated with my mom. I had done talk therapy before, but I went and said I have no coping skills particularly with my mother it is ruining my health (stress), it's ruining my relationship with my mother and it's starting to effect my relationship with DH, DD, even my work habits, and I got into some cognitive therapy. It was slow and steady, and it doesn't work 100% but when I changed my reactions and the way I internalized, and also the way I handled her, our relationship actually improved so I would look into it if you can. Good luck! Sounds like you have a great support system despite them...
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:51 PM on May. 4, 2011