Why can't my stepson and my son get along?

We have full custody of my step children but the constant arguing and fighting between my 12 year old step son and my strong willed 7 year old is making me have anxiety

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Blended families are hard for everyone. Stepson may have issues with not being with bio. Son may have issue with having to share you/your time with others. It's a difficult tightrope to walk.. Tread carefully and lightly. Try to get each of them to tell you what they see as the problem. Good Luck.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Id assume that its jealousy. Your son now feels that he has to share his love with you. Just work with him and have special days for only the two of you to enjoy
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'd say that even blood siblings don't always get along. It's a little brother's job to bug his older siblings. My older children are only 16 months apart and I thought they'd be the best of friends. It took until they were about 14 & 13 to start to really get along. They are just very different personality-wise. Instead of focusing on the blended family aspect, maybe just try to find some common ground/interests and push them in that direction. Good luck!
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 11:11 PM on May. 4, 2011