If the ACA mandates are unconstitutional, then aren't the Ryancare mandates as well?

Ryan's roadmap would reshape Americans' access to health insurance mainly through two provisions, both of which pressure people to purchase private health insurance to an extent and through mechanisms that are materially indistinguishable from the supposedly toxic Obamacare mandate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2292901/

CHarlan

Asked by CHarlan at 8:39 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I really don't see much benefit in either. Competition may cause prices to lower for a period of time but as medical costs increase, so will the cost of health insurance. Eventually it will be back to square one with a lot of people not able to afford health insurance.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• How so? No one is required by law to use Medicare. My in-laws don't use it they have private insurance. They aren't paying a fine because they don't use it. The HC law requires people to buy an "approved" policy or pay a helfty fine.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:52 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It is no different that the purchase of medicare. Just it will be in the private sector to handle. Competition lowers prices. Medicare is not free, it is over 100 bucks a month if you retire today. Not the same. You have the option to opt out of medicare now and you would then.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Exactly meriana. All this talk about the insurance companies and whether or not the mandates is legal the point is being missed. Health insurance is not the entire problem. The cost of getting medical care continues to rise. That has yet to be addressed. It should not cost $100 to go to the doc if your child has strep. That's the charge at my doctor, fortunately I just pay my copay.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:23 AM on May. 5, 2011

• good point.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't think it matters because it's never going to happen. There's not a chance in hell that pile of diarrhea will make it out alive.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yup.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:47 PM on May. 4, 2011