Honest answers please---Is a cash bar at a wedding rude or tacky?

I'm getting married this Sept and we were planning on having a cash bar. Now we were planning to provide all the pop, water and beer free of charge, but guests would pay for their own wine, champaine and cocktails. I was in two different weddings last year and BOTH brides had a cash bar and no one seemed to really care at all. I went and Googled how much alcohol we would need for our guests and as I was researching that, I noticed on some of the wedding sites, people were saying how rude cash bars are. Now I'm worried about what people will think if we have a cash bar. We were going to put on our wedding site information about what will be served for dinner and also give a heads up about their being a cash bar so that its not a surprise. We're having a wedding that's more on the casual side as well, so I don't know if that makes a difference. We're not having some super fancy, upscale wedding at a Hilton or anything like that. If we're providing all pop, water and beer, is it really that big of a deal to charge for the cocktails and wine? Just to make one more thing clear..we are NOT making any profit off of the cash bar. We're only charging enough money to pay for the cost of all of the alcohol that will need to be purchased.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It's the norm here for it to be a cash bar, very rare for it to be an open bar. And generally the only time there is an open bar is when many of the guests had to travel and get hotel rooms, lots of expenses. I think that some people will always complain about this sort of thing, but as long as you give them a heads up it'll be fine.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't consider it rude or tacky weddings can be expensive and your already providing soda, water and beer free of charge. I wouldn't stress about it or what people think remember its your day and should be about you. Good luck and congratulations

MrsKris99

Answer by MrsKris99 at 9:22 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Don't worry about it. They are very normal.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• that's usually how it's done around here... unless you are loaded!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It's pretty normal...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• it may be normal, but its a little off-putting. at least your guests will know beforehand, right?
    MHO, if you can't afford to pay for the extra alcohol, then don't serve it. if alcohol is that important to your guests, they aren't attending your wedding for you and your fiance.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• umm i think its kinda tacky but everyone thinks differently. I got married this past new years eve and we supplied all the beer, wine, cocktails and champagne but it does get extremely expensive!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 9:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• as long as you let people know ahead of time, i dont think its rude.but that way people are prepared.
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 9:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Personally , If I couldn't afford it I wouldn't serve it. BUT that doesn't mean it's rude to do so.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• 99% of weddings I have attended have a cash bar. I've even been to weddings where I've had to pay for soda. It's a treat when there's an open bar but I don't expect it.
    mom2colbyj

Answer by mom2colbyj at 9:29 PM on May. 4, 2011