How do I deal with having Celiacs disease (which tends to be high calorie) and obesity?

HeatherSumowski

Asked by HeatherSumowski at 9:31 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• A lot of gluten free foods are higher in calories..but mostly it's th ones specially made gluten free. Naturally gluten free are not necessarily higher. My niece has CD. She was 8 when she was diagnosed. When she found out she couldn't eat cheerios or oatmeal I thought she was gonna have kittens. My sister learned that most of the Chex cereals are gluten free, always have been. They are now marked that way. She drinks almond milk which is gluten and dairy free, 1/2 the calories and fat of cows milk. She does buy her some of the special mixes off and on..but mostly she doesn't miss them. She is able to get good carbs with fruits and veggies. A 3 yr old is a tougher challenge because they really can't understand why they can't have something..
    http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-%26amp%3B-Kids-by-Danna-Korn/

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Celiac disease is an intolerance to certain foods. You have to avoid certain things. I'd think that would be limiting on your calories, not the other way around! As for obesity, it's pretty simple: eat less.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• how does not being able to digest wheat/gluten make you have to eat a high fat/calorie diet?
    my friend has this-as well as ulcerative colitis-and she has no problem with her weight

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The hard part about it is that celiac's is a gluten allergy which is in a LOT of foods. Unfortunately most of the replacement foods are very high in calories but if I don't eat at least some of them I am basically cutting out an entire food group.

Oh and for losing weight...I didn't ask how to lose weight but thanks for that. I am not going to tell my 3 year old to just eat less. That's not always the answer. Maybe you should research before answering a question in such a demeaning way.
    HeatherSumowski

Comment by HeatherSumowski (original poster) at 9:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• UC is a disorder that tends to make people lose weight because they metabolize food differently. Gluten-free products are higher in calories and tend to make it harder to avoid obesity. Man, sorry I asked.
    HeatherSumowski

Comment by HeatherSumowski (original poster) at 9:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My son has a gluten sensitivity so when we switched him over to gluten free I did too. I ate all gluten free and lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I ate gf bread and noodles and still lost. I did not eat all the gf goodies though that we would buy for my son. I know how hard it is to be completely gf so best of luck and hang in there.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thank you MommyH2
    HeatherSumowski

Comment by HeatherSumowski (original poster) at 9:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Bob's Red Mill has a whole line of Gluten free products and mixes that are quite yummy. I had a friend that was severely allergic to gluten and he was skilly as a rail, AND he had irratable bowels.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Instead of purchasing pre-made foods, make your own versions of your child's favorite foods and start introducing him/her to a diet that focuses less on carbs and more on fresh fruits & veggies w/some protein. Quinoa is an excellent substitute for rice & is much healthier because, unlike rice, it doesn't turn into a simple sugar as it's digested. Bean flours are a carb, but are higher in protein too, and work very well for making things like cookies & sweetbreads. There are many alternative grains available that you can try (buckwheat, amaranth, garbfava, almond meal, potatoe, tapioca, etc.) and, depending on how you prepare them, they don't have to be high calorie substitutes. There are options, especially if you are willing to make things yourself. The prepackaged foods are always higher in calories b/c the companies do things as cheaply as possible.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:56 PM on May. 4, 2011