Has anyone ever heard of breast milk jaundice (jaundice caused by breast feeding) my preemies bilirubin count was low now its gone back up the doctor says it could be from the breast milk baby has been under the lights the whole time

kimmy_grunwalle

Asked by kimmy_grunwalle at 7:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, breastmilk will cause high bilirubin count, that happened to my first baby and the ped. made me stop breastfeeding while she was under the lights.. i had to give her formula..blaa
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I had never heard of this and so I looked it up. I found one website. ONE. Which talks about breastmilk jaundice.

"Breast-milk jaundice is a common problem facing parents and physicans, but it is not a disease and does not represent an abnormality in and of itself. Rather this normal physiologic condition gains its importance only in that it must be
    distinguished from pathological causes of newborn jaundice. Breastmilk jaundice is believed to affect 1% to 33% of breastfed infants."

It didn't say much more about it. I couldn't find ANY other information. I find it odd that there was only ONE website on it at all. Not even a mention in other messageboards. Makes me wonder if it's a real possiblity at all.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i have a premiee and i havent herd of that.
    rose083088

Answer by rose083088 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I was told the same thing with my son. The lactation consultant i was seeing told me to keep nursing as much as possible, it will eventually go away. If you take him off breastfeeding there is a good chance he will never latch back on. His biliruben levels started going down about day 8.
    KendraB120

Answer by KendraB120 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my son got jaundice when he was a few days old. it was because my milk hadn't come in yet and he wasn't getting anything to flush out his system. jaundice is very common in breastfed babies. the more they eat, the more they go to the bathroom and flush it out. mine had to be on formula and the bili bed for a couple days to break it up and help him flush it out. being that your baby was preemie, her system isn't as mature as it should be and has to play catch up
    bttrfly8605

Answer by bttrfly8605 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I went to my first pediatrician appointment with my son and the doctor said he looked jaundice, she told me I had to start to formula feed him as he was exclusively breastfed, I asked why and her answer was "because". I told her I would wait until the test came back and see what his bilirubin level was. I took my son outside for walks every day and let the sun shine on him, and the bilirubin levels came back normal. When I called the pediatricians office for the test results, she said "Oh they came back fine, but I would still give him formula as the breastfeeding caused the Jaundice" I kindly thanked them for their advice, continued to breastfeed exclusively and my baby is happy and healthy.
    MommaBendtsen

Answer by MommaBendtsen at 1:39 AM on Jul. 11, 2008