Spinal tap/Epidural

I was just wondering how bad does it hurt?? I had back surgery a couple years ago and I have a scar about where that needle is gonna go and Im so darn scared of how it's gonna feel. Im sure I'll probley be feeling so much pain I wont care but I cant help but wonder. O and does the epidural needle stay in your back for a while?? What does this feel like? Thanks for your answers:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you will be in to much pain to notice the needle going in. the epideral needle is insertd and then a thin tube is threaded through and taped into place to release the medication. its taped down on your back and when the first send the medication through its kind of cold. im sure getting one hurts but i dont remember the pain of it cuz i was in so much pain anyway.
    Anonymous

• Well... The epidural comes along with a nice little cathider (sp?) that does stay in your back. They use it to put more meds in... The spinal has no cathider, it's just a one time deal. Now.. it depends if you are in labor or not. Like for a c-section, going in to get either one of those is miserable b/c you are not currently in ANY pain at all... BUT although people say that " you'll be in so much pain you won't even notice"... That's just not true b/c of the time they do the epidural.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• CONT
    They usually do it BEFORE the pain gets bad! Anyways... For me the shot to numb the epidural spot hurt like a normal shot, a little more b/c of the area... then the epidural hurt a little worse but more than anything it was just so uncomfortable going in. After it was in, I didn't notice it much. Just make sure to breathe and not move. I'm not looking forward to having another one... I'm not going to lie. Good luck though! Just relax and think of the baby
    AshJoe05

• it will be fine it don't hurt that bad just when there numbing iti thats bout it
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It doesnt hurt as bad as the contractions! With mine they did it when I was having a contraction so I didnt know what hurt worse and they also numb you a bit before they put it in.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• The epi scares me worst than labor. It's a horrible pain mixed with pressure in a very sensitive area. My last baby was all natural. 24 hours of labor, back labor during transition and 2 hours of pushing. I prefer that to the epi any day. And they always feel the same to me, I've had 4. NEVER again. I can't even watch them on TV, it freaks me out.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Just so you know....a spinal TAP is where they sick a needle into your spine and drain some spinal fluid. I'm about 99% sure no pregnant woman has ever gotten one. Just being a jackass, but I think you mean spinal BLOCK.
    Anonymous

• lol yeah your right so I had tap and BLOCK mixed up.
    Anonymous

• I saw on a baby story the other day, the woman couldn't get an epideral or spinal block because she had had back surgery in the area of where they would have to put it, she could only get IV pain meds.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Even if she can't get the epi/spinal... she'll be okay! Women did it years ago with nothing... I wouldn't want to, but if I had no choice then I would.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2008