Should I Tell Her?

There is a girl at work always spreading rumors. I wont tell her anything because she somehow twists what people say and read way too much into their actions, and if the information she is sharing IS in fact true, she shouldn't be sharing it. I have caught wind of 2 rumors that this girl started about my boss alone. One was that she slept with a guy from IT and another is that she is currently sleeping with her boss. True or not, I don't care. Its none of my business what she does or who she sleeps with, but it could really hurt her reputation, or get her into a lot of trouble if HR catches wind of these things. This girl is not saying these things to me (she doesnt like me for some reason...maybe because I don't give her the fire she needs to talk SH!7 about me). She goes to my friend and tells her. I really like my boss and I wouldn't say we are pals, but I can definately tell her things. Should I tell her someone is spreading these rumors. I don't like telling on others, but I feel like these are blatent moves to sabbotage my boss. She says things about other people too. Its amazing there are really adults in the world that can't keep a secret/keep their mouth shut. And if she heard it from someone else, it should have stopped at her. What do you ladies think?

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 9:50 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• My first thought was, if I was the boss, would I want to know what was being said about me? In this particular instance, I'm not sure if there is anything she can do to extract herself from the rumors. I work in a very small office. I know just about everything about just about everyone. I feel like an underpaid pshychiatrist. I know one of the things that happens here, is I'll hear part of story A from someone in the office, and all of story A from the actual participant. Egads. Not even the same story. Further more, I know that it would serve no purpose whatsoever to attempt to "straighten out" the story.

That said, it's a pity you can't start rumors about the girl embezzling funds or something fun like that. See how she likes walking in those shoes.
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 3:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Stay out of it. Your boss is a big girl. She can handle herself.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:06 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree, I would leave it alone. Don't get involved because you don't want to get caught up in that mess. The safest place is to stay out of it!

Good Luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:35 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I just went through this sort of situation. My bosses good friend works in the shop behind our building. He is going around spreading rumors that we are going out of business. I went to the boss and asked the question--are you going out of business? He said no why? I told him about the rumor that was going around and who said it. Evidentally bossman confronted the person that said it. I think it is best to tell your boss. I just felt my boss needed know. If he was going to close the doors, I would want to go with some dignity. Good luck
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 10:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• As unfortunate as it is that there are "adults" that act this way they are there. IMO I would not say anything to either of them, I would steer clear of what sounds like a burning fire eventually going to explode. At some point she will say the wrong thing to the wrong person. But if she isnt speaking directly TO you and your hearing it second hand from your friend and then you tell someone else, even the person being talked about you have just joined the game of telephone and we all know how that ends.
    Newfie_Mom

Answer by Newfie_Mom at 10:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was pretty sure I made it clear I wouldn't let the rumor go past me.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 10:13 PM on May. 4, 2011