What would you do in this situation? Can't potty train my dog!!!

We have had our dog for about a year now and he still is not potty trained. We have tried everything. Both of us have pretty much always had dogs and training them has never been this hard. It shouldn't take more than one or two months for a dog to understand they shouldn't go in the house. I have a baby on the way and I know my dog will pee all over the baby's stuff. He pees all over my stuff and that pisses me off it will make me even more angry when he pees on the baby's stuff. BUT the thought of getting rid of him just puts me to tears. He absolutely loves me, follows me everywhere, waits by the front door when I am gone. Ugh I just don't know what to do I can't handle any more pee the carpet is ruined there are stains everywhere. He is a pomeranian/papillion mix, neither of us have ever had a small dog before. I don't know if it's his breed that sucks at house training or if he is just retarded lol I just don't know what to do. Advice and opinions are appreciated...

Thank you

SaraR216

Asked by SaraR216 at 9:55 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Small dogs take FOREVER to potty train. I have my first small dog ever (black lab.../cat? mix) lol. Hard to say what she is but she is small. She is now 14 months and just got her fully potty trained like 2 weeks ago. Our vet said its typical for the little ones, but I didn't ask why. GL! I got angry too its hard:(
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Small, male dogs LOVE to piss on stuff. Little dogs are already a little bossy with their owners and territory, the males are really bad. Be patient. It may take longer to train him. I crate train my little guys. Research it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Is he a smaller breed? I have heard the smaller they breed them down, the harder they are to teach... We had a Pomeranian that was like that. Never could potty train that damn dog. We used to keep her confined to a room at night so she wouldn't go all over... I resorted to newspapers. Ugh... I don't know that there is much more you can do. This go round, I got a shelter dog, an older dog, and he's a perfect boy!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:00 PM on May. 4, 2011

• We have a 3yr old miniature dachshund, and he is still not 100% housebroken. It is very frustrating, but I can't make him go when I take him out, you know? I am never getting a male dog again, that is for sure. I never had this problem with females.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• id get rid of it!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yeah it is so frustrating. I really don't want to give up on him but it is getting ridiculous. He has a crate, he doesn't mind it at all, goes in on his own and everything. He goes to the outside door and asks to be let out, shouldn't that mean he is trained? He sometimes will go outside and come in and go in the house 5 minutes later. Ugh I just do not get it.
    SaraR216

Comment by SaraR216 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It is going to take work and if you just cant do it because your preg. which is totally understandable then perhaps finding a new home is the best thing. (I dont mean this in a bad way) You are going to have to start all over again like he was a new puppy. The dog needs to be confined when you are not in the same room with him. Get a lead and attatch him to your belt loop so he can be watched. (I have a Yorkshire terrier and have had to start over several times with her. Small dogs are sometimes hard to train). Watch when he is drinking/eating. Every 20 minutes or so take him outside until he potties.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Take him for a walk to help him digest and go several times a day and when he finally goes reward and make a really big deal out of it and treat him. .Consistency and having the time is a must. Yes, at his age many dogs are potty trained. He isnt. No point in getting frustrated, either continue to train him or find someone who can. Good luck momma on your preg. and your dog!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Is he neutered? Had a vet check? Sometimes health problems can cause a dog to go in the house. If he isn't neutered thats your first start. I second tethering him to you. If you cannot watch him he needs to be in his crate. (Make sure your crate is just large enough that he can stand, turn around, and lay down again. Any bigger and its not doing its job properly).

Other than that you must be consistent. When you go out make a big deal over going to the bathroom outside. Praise like crazy every time he tells you he's got to go outside. And steam clean your carpets because they can still smell the odor. Look at steam cleaner additives specifically for pet urine.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:34 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Have you tried puppy pad training? We have a small dog, Yorkie, and we used the puppy pad and when he correctly did his business on the puppy pad he was given a small treat. We trained him in less than a month. He soon learned he'd get something yummy for doing his business in the correct spot.
    JavaMom2one

Answer by JavaMom2one at 2:34 PM on May. 5, 2011