Why arent I supposed to lay flat on my back?

8 months pregnant and I'm not sure why everyone says that you shouldnt lay flat on your back...sometimes this is literally the only way I can get comfortable...if you know why and can tell me that would be awesome lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 10:06 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Fetal Circulation can be positional dependent on how you're carrying and how big you are. Fetal circulation is very interesting. You should Google it. However, at this point, if that is the only way that you can get comfortable. Do it. As long as you feel the fetus moving, you're good. The other response is partially true, but not everyone has problems with the sciatic nerve. You can talk to your doctor about it if you wish. If they fear fetal compromise, than a fetal monitoring stress test may be in order. But as long as you and the baby are healthy. Laying on your back is not going to hurt you or the baby.
    RNMomO3

Answer by RNMomO3 at 10:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was told by my dr that the baby can lay on a nerve and it can temporary cause you to be unable to walk
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 10:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Baby lays on something and gets less oxygen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:10 PM on May. 4, 2011

• What they said above. It is best to lay on your left side, and put a pillow between your legs.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It can compress blood vessels and nerves ... but honestly, for the amount of time you'd actually spend lying on your back before becoming uncomfortable you'll probably be fine. If it's the only way to get comfortable and be able to rest, go for it. If you can make lying on your side propped with pillows work for you, that would be better, but it's not the end of the world to lie on your back.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was never told to not sleep on my back. Towards the end, that was the ONLY way I could sleep. Any other position was uncomfortable. Talk to your doctor about it if you are worried.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It's a major artery or something that brings blood to the baby. I was told by my doctor to use a pillow against my back and lean on that. and it's BEST to lay on your left side.
    BlueMockingbird

Answer by BlueMockingbird at 10:51 PM on May. 4, 2011

• 1) It puts pressure on your back, and your internal organs. 2) It restricts proper oxygen flow to your baby.
    Anonymous

• because it puts pressure on your vena cava, a major artery. My midwife told me it was just fine, so I did and my baby was just fine and so was I.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Because of blood flow and because of baby laying on nerves. Your actually suppose to lay on your left side because of better blood flow than on your right side, but if its still comfortable then its not that big of a deal I would just elevate your legs a little bit for good blood flow to them.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 11:06 AM on May. 5, 2011