S/o world without religion question

An answer in that question (it's on the R&B side) says that we only use religion as an excuse for war, and if we didn't have religion, we'd just find other excuses. 

I think the unique thing about religion is that most of them have a broad enough base that it makes them specially suited for something like selling a war. We have a long history of it - the Crusades, the little invasions and incursions the US was involved in outside the Civil War (Panama, Philippines, Cuba, even the Westward expansion), and, lets face it, our forays into the Middle East. Like it or not, just or not, religion is used to manipulate people into thinking something they otherwise might not agree with is really for the "greater good".

Which leads me to wonder. If the majority of Americans were not Jewish or Christian, would the things we're involved with now - Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Pakistan - have been as easy to sell to the public in general?  If the difference in religion was not a factor for anyone, publically or, more importantly, privately, would people be as comfortable with the entire idea?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:08 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• funny..but i've never questioned/used my xtianity as being the reason i agree with or disagreed with a war, skirmish, or the recent killing of one POS.
    besides, there are plenty of other religions out there, are there not?? you're kinda leaning into the 'jews/xtians' are the only reason we have war thingy..i admittedly don't know any jewish people intimately. but i do know a lot of xtians who disapprove of wars/etc. BECAUSE OF THEIR RELIGION. odd.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• you're kinda leaning into the 'jews/xtians' are the only reason we have war thingy

No, if anything that's a gross misstatement of my entire question. It's not my fault or yours that the largest religious block in this country is Jewish and Christian. If it were Hellenist, I'd talk about them instead, but it's not. Simple fact is the case for war has been repeatedly tailored to prey on religious motives. The reason it's convenient is because it supersedes all other demographic factors. Liberal, conservative, rich, poor, black, white, old, young, pro-gun, pro-vegan, pick an issue besides religion, and that split is there. ALL factors that would play into someone's personal choice to support or not support a war, and far too many factors to play towards in making the case. But religion, if you can form a single argument that fits the criteria of the largest religion, you have a foot in the door of millions of followers.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If it's just too traumatic for you to consider it that way, look at the flip side - would extremist Muslim groups have nearly as easy a time convincing people we're the enemy if the majority of us weren't Jewish and Christian? Would it be easier to sell the argument that we must be destroyed because we use more than our share of resources or control too much of the world's money? Would nearly as many disenfranchised 13 year olds ripe for recruitment give two damns about the economic impact of the US on their nation? Quit trying to make this about you and your religion, it's a bigger question than that.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• NP, I can't speak for anyone but myself ~ and I don't use my religion as an excuse for doing things. There are things I do/say that don't fit with the teachings of my religion. I don't personally see religion as a justification or reason to go to war. I feel that if we are attacked, we have both a duty and a right to defend ourselves. Our duty is to keep the country intact for future generations. I'm firmly of the opinion that it is darned hard to pursue happiness if we don't also hang onto our right to live.

I'll be the first to agree with you when it comes to roaming around beating up the neighbors over things like resources or property line disputes. Historically religion has been used to rally the people.

I don't think we'll all ever get along well enough to eliminate war. Even in a utopia, human nature being what it is, some loon would still want 'more'.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'll be the first to agree with you when it comes to roaming around beating up the neighbors over things like resources or property line disputes. Historically religion has been used to rally the people.

But then what I'm asking is, if religion wasn't a factor, is there anything else that people agree on (generally speaking) in large enough numbers that it could be used in the same way?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:56 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I answered fairly, and from a personal perspective. I didn't make it about me and my religion. You asked the question, I gave you my opinion and thought. I can't speculate anyone else's, dear. Next time, I'll sugarcoat.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• lol dullscissors. great answer
    If religions did not exist, IMO, the world would basically be like it is. However, humankind may be worshipping themselves or other real people. The greed and need for power will always exist with or without religions. You're born with it.
    We see the need for power everyday on CM, with the insatiable desire for some women to control their own posts.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:28 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We see the need for power everyday on CM, with the insatiable desire for some women to control their own posts.

Yeah, expecting answers to actually have SOMETHING to do with the question instead of fixating on a single word and ignoring the actual question is so controlling.

eye rolling

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:42 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I think yes if we didn't have religion or if we all had the same religion there would still be wars, even the ones that are going on bc right now the muslim extremist are saying that its america they had because of our liberalism. Even muslim in this country (and some others) are fairly liberal compared to them. Besides many terroist have blown up or at least tried to blow up muslim houses of worship (drew a blank while I was typing) so its not just religion its also attitudes that are apart of the wars right now. (srry if spelling is bad)
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 11:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I believe that would be my answer you're talking about...

And yes, I completely believe we would be at war with the Middle East even if we weren't primarily Christian. Why? Because again, religion is being used as a reason to create issues based on other factors. The root of this entire issue is that you have a group of controlling men who have used THEIR version of extreme religion to give themselves power. They would have done the same thing w/o religion, they simply would have found another reason. Because the root is their control issue, not their religious beliefs! And it's this level of and need for control that has spawned this war - including the attacks on 9/11. Islam, which they claim is their supporting faith, exists even within the US, but we don't see this level of control or abuse within MOST US Islamic homes because the culture doesn't lend towards the same level of control. This war is cultural, not religious.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on May. 5, 2011