SAHM's: How much does your husband do around the house?

Since I stay home, the house pretty much falls on me, and so do the kids. I rarely ask for help but have to admit that sometimes I wish the hubby did a little more. I have to find the right way to ask I think.
How much housework does your husband do?

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 10:21 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm in a Family Studies class and this is something that comes up a lot. If you need the help then you need to talk to him about it. Even though you stay at home...you still need help with the kids and cleaning. You deal with a lot and so does he. ...it goes both ways. Just ask him if he will help you out a little more. Like so you don't have to ask...be like can you be in charge of _____? or something so it's not really talked about and he knows he has to do it.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Dh does the trash and I still have to remind him to take the bags to the dumpster. He rarely takes it all and that's his only "job" at home.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Not much
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 11:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband doesn't have to do much around the house. He works outside our home 7 days a week. I don't feel that he should have to come home to help clean the house, or cook. He does help when I ask. He makes sure the yard work is taken care of (this I do not do). We have 3 kids ages 12, 13, 17. They have chores also. Everyone has a role in our house. The only way to keep it running smoothly. And even then it doesn't always work out the way I would like. Since he has chosen to work so much so that I don't have to work outside the home, I feel it is my place to keep the house and take care of most of our kids needs. I pay the bills, do the shopping (I even buy his clothes, lol), take care of education decisions, medical, etc. It has worked out well for us, but is not for everyone.
    lvncntry

Answer by lvncntry at 11:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My dh does roughly 75% of the housework. We both work full-time, have 3 children 12, 15 and 17. There are several things that I am unable to do for health reasons, such as vaccuuming, heavy lifting of any kind and outside work. He does a lot of the other things like cleaning the floors, laundry and half the cooking so that I can save my energy to spend time with my children.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 10:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband takes out the trash Occassionally and thats about it lol. On christmas day he usually will help clean up alittle. as in vacum the livingroom and pick up wrapping paper as we have his family over every year for dinner. The first (he had NEVER done them before in our relationship) and last time he did dishes was Sept 1-18 of 2010 because I was in the hospital for 16 days. He did them for two days after I got out and then decided I was well enough to do them. When I had my youngest daughter when I came home from the hospital I came home to three days of dishes in the sink and a dirty house that I had cleaned before I went into labor. I guess he figures he works hard at work so he doesnt have to do it at home. OH and no he wouldnt complain if I didnt do it. He would probably hire someone so he didnt have to do it LOL
    Anonymous

• I only expect him to clean up after himself as in rinse a dish before putting it in the sink and to put his dirty clothes in the hamper. He chooses to feed the dogs, take out the trash (which I appreciate), and he also maintains the outside of the house. I do 95% with our kids also, but if I ever ask for his help he is right there. This works for us, but if your unhappy you should really talk to your DH about a change.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 10:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband takes out the trash daily and does the yard work. I take care of everything else.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Not enough, I'll say that. Honestly the only chore he'll do on his own is take out the trash on trash day, and he doesn't even do that every time. If I ask him to do other things, MOST of the time, it'll get done eventually, but rarely when I ask him to do it. I don't really expect him to (or think that he should) do anything major... I am at home all day, so this is my "job" and I wouldn't expect someone to do my work for me if I worked outside the home, so why should I demand he do things I could be doing. HOWEVER, I do think he should do things like, put his dishes in the sink, pick up after himself, throw away his own trash, etc. Not only does it show respect for me, but it helps set a good example for the kids (Daddy picked his clothes up off the floor and put them away, maybe we should too!)
    But, he does "supervisor" the kids when he gets off work so they're not in the way while I do housework.
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 10:55 PM on May. 4, 2011

• my df and i are a team. we discuss everything and we help eachother out. he works, i stay home with our dd. although i do most of the house work, he helps me frequently with stuff. taking the baby, trash, dinner, laundry... he is the man of my dreams. we take turns sometimes... i am so sorry for the mommys who feel unappreciative.
    what we do matters. sometimes we just have to pull the stick out of the s/o butt first!!
    aubre22

Answer by aubre22 at 11:04 PM on May. 4, 2011