Is it easier to adopt through the foster care system then through an agency?

i am hoping to try adopt again. My DH and I already have a home study just about completed. My DH and I want to be parents so badly

kimah1105

Asked by kimah1105 at 10:27 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Adoption

• I think every type of adoption has it's own challenges and one is not more or less difficult. It's what obstacles you are willing to overcome. For me personally, I would only adopt from foster care due to my feelings about not knowing how or why the child was relinqueshed or orphaned in another country, or pay thousands to an agency to get that baby. These are just my feelings on the subject.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• we tried to do a private adoption and it failed. it crushed me so i am trying to figure out whats the best way where my feeling wont go crazy again. i am leaning on the foster care system
    kimah1105

Comment by kimah1105 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It might be just has difficult but it would be a lot cheaper. Call the foster care program and ask them about adoption through foster care placement. They will be able to give you a better idea of what is involved...costs, time, etc. Good luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• thank you for your help
    kimah1105

Comment by kimah1105 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I had fertility problems with my first child and vowed to never put myself through the hell of TTC again, and I was going to foster to adopt. We went through our licensing process, which was not difficult, but was a little time consuming, and were licensed within about 4 months. About the time we got our license, we found out we were pregnant spontaneously, so we never ended up adopting. What I can tell you is that you have to keep in mind that not every child that comes into your home (we did foster until the baby was born) will be a permanent member of your family...which is HARD. At least in my state (MI), they really encourage you to work with the birth family (if safe) to promote reunification, and that is difficult when you know the circumstances leading to placement and know that you want to adopt. In the end, though, If you have had the child for the year (typical) leading up to a child becoming open to adoption, the
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• process is shorter and there are a ton of grants to help with the legal costs and other fees. It is a lot more "streamlined" I guess you could say.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• thank you
    kimah1105

Comment by kimah1105 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• When you adopt through the foster system you know (or hope) that the child is a child in need of family rather than a child that has been coersed from a mother that could have parented given the correct support. It is a child that needs a family which is what adoption should be about.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Adopting through the Foster System may not be easier because they are supposed to be in favor of keeping the child with it's bfamily. As opposed to an Agency which has money as it's goal, so for sure it will be cheaper.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes I have started my research on the foster care system in my area and where I'm moving to. I know it's about a child needing a family and I will be a great mom either when I conceive or if we adopt. I've always wanted to adopt to make a differences in a child life by providing support, stability and unconditional love.
    kimah1105

Comment by kimah1105 (original poster) at 12:09 AM on May. 5, 2011