What do I do when my son won't poop unless he absolutely can't hold it?

He is potty trained. he will hold the poop in until it has to come out. He does not ask for a pull up nor does he ask to go on the potty. He just screames that his poopy hurts.

chicagomomof3

Asked by chicagomomof3 at 10:34 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest son had that problem. He constantly got constipated, which made it more painful to go and made him more afraid to go. I would suggest a visit to the pediatrician, my son got so backed up, he had to have an enema and you do not want it to get that bad.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 10:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Get more fiber into him to soften his stools. If he is saying it hurts to poop ask the doctor what you can give him to help it out. My cousin had to drink Metamucil every day in order to poop and she was about 3 yrs old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• could he have hemorrhoids? I was like this when I was a kid and it was terrible. makes me so mad that my mother let this go, when all I really needed was a little medicine. and she's a nurse!
    the fact that he's saying that it hurts makes me wonder if it's hemorrhoids.

I hope he feels better!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:45 PM on May. 4, 2011