How to add healthy fats to a "no calorie counting" diet?

My doctor says that since my weight is stabilized (no weight gain in a long time), I should try to just eat healthier instead of counting calories. She says I should enjoy my food, not worry about every little calorie I consume.

My problem is this: how do I add fat to my diet without going overboard? I notice that if I eat a lot of foods that are devoid of fat, I feel hungry soon after eating. For example, for lunch, I had a piece of broiled cod, some steamed asparagus and some steamed carrots. Nice and healthy...but no fat. So I was hungry just 30 minutes after eating!!

Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Carbs are not healthy fats Adding healthy fats to your diet can help you lose or maintain. Add avocado to your sandwich or salad. I LOVE avocado with salt and lime...YUM. top your salad with olive oil and lemon juice - try to have some olive oil w/o cooking it as it loses some of it's benefit. Have a handful of nuts like almonds or walnuts for a snack. Fish like salmon has lots of healthy fat. You don't have to count calories, but learn what a serving size is of each thing so you know you're not going over board. they are nutrient dense but also tend to be calorie dense. Know your portions!! :)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 12:09 AM on May. 5, 2011

• carbs, but whole grain.
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 10:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• ditto the grain thing...Also cook your proteins or veg using omega 3 healthy fats. Add avocado to salad.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Salmon, Italian salad dressing, olive oil, avocado, and nearly any plant fats are generally healthy fats. You can drizzle some olive oil on the veggies, and/or some grapeseed oil on the cod (higher flash point than olive oil) prior to broiling. I use it on salmon. Peanut butter is another good one. Whole grains will make a big difference, too. They'll keep you nice and full. Congrats on reaching your target weight!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with the rest of these ladies, avocado, nuts and olive oil are some great options, just use them as replacements for things like mayo and dressings, and you won't go overboard but still have some flavor :) here's a site with some more info. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    SomethingZen

Answer by SomethingZen at 3:55 AM on May. 5, 2011

• olive oil, avacado, nuts....are all healthy fats
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Since you're still watching what you eat (really you should) I try to add fats to a super healthy mostly veggie meal. Example- last night we had diced yams with onions and a little bit of cilantro and seasonings mixed with 2 TBS of olive oil. It was 200 calories per cup. So you get your fats and your veggies all in one dish. We also added a little bit of meat to that dish but of course that's optional.

You can do other things like switching to a light dressing instead of fat free. Eating more eggs etc.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:14 PM on May. 5, 2011