Why is it against the law to sell a child but yet agencies can charge for assistance based on RACE ???? Just doesn't seem right!

dananddayna

Asked by dananddayna at 11:07 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Adoption

• You're comparing two completely different things here...
    Anonymous

• No , it's statingg the truth. It's against the law to sell a child but yet I call an agency up they can charge me 30k + and tell me the actualy price is determined by what race the child I wish to adopt? How are these two different topics? A child shouldn' have a pricetag to begin with much less a value stamped on them due to race.
    dananddayna

Comment by dananddayna (original poster) at 11:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• There are adminisative fees, medical fees, investigative fees, travel fees, personnel fees.......etc. And if you don't know , you need to investigate instead of getting ticked off .because you are clueless My daughter is trying to adopt if she and her husband can't have their own baby. Thee have spent years with an agency and they KNOW---you need to get some real information. Adoption costs vary by area in the USA and by country. It could be anywhere fromn 20,000 to 40,000. It could take months or it could take years. It s tough. You really have to want to adopt.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I totally agree with you. Adoption fees are based on supply and demand. More people want healthy white infants, so adoption agencies can charge more for them. The Adoption Industy is rife with unethical practices and is driven by money. You're absolutely right. I'ts wrong, wrong, wrong! $$$$

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "No , it's statingg the truth. It's against the law to sell a child but yet I call an agency up they can charge me 30k + and tell me the actualy price is determined by what race the child I wish to adopt? How are these two different topics? A child shouldn' have a pricetag to begin with much less a value stamped on them due to race."

Ditto....to what OTT said.

I tend to agree with you too.....it is wrong to sell babies at all. It is also wrong to charge more for healthy white babies than other babies. But, yes, the supply and demand fuels lots of terrible practices in adoption.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• yeah. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about adoption. Advertisements listing us by sales price- like a damn used car

i'd be pissed to know I had a clearance price, because of the color of my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Ummm. WTF! Only because there was no fee reduction in my transracial private adoption. Nor was there a fee reduction in any of my friends' who adopted black or other minority children. In fact just the opposite has been shown to be true. Most aces will tell you because the risk is higher, more matches do not actually follow through, you end up paying more. Some adoptions do cost more as a result of different factors. Our adoption, of a black child, cost WAY more than many adoptions of white children adoptees. There is just no way to fairly say your position is accurate. PM the number of the agency you called. I would love to pose as a perspective parent to verify your claim.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Frogdawg is right. I have not seen fee reductions based on race. The agency has a set of standard fees that they charge. Generally, the difference in total costs of different adoption situations depends on how much you are paying to the birthmother.

Birthmother expenses vary from woman to woman. Some birthmothers do not need any expenses (they may be living with their parents and on medicaid). Some birthmoms will ask as much as much as $40,000 in birthmother expenses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 5, 2011

• For example, suppose an agency charges agency fees of $10,000 and suppose they have two available situaions.

Situation # 1 involves a birthmom who lives at home with her parents and has medicaid. She doesn't need money for maternity leave because she doesn't have a job. In this case, the adoption would cost $10,000.

Situation # 2 involves a single mom with four other children. She doesn't have any health insurance and she doesn't qualify for medicare. The total medical cost is $10,000. In addition, she needs a minimum of $2,000 of expenses for each month of her pregnancy. The total cost would be $38,000 ($10,000 for the agency fee + $10,000 for the bmom medical fees + $18,000 for bmom living expenses = $38,000)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on May. 5, 2011

• "yeah. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about adoption. Advertisements listing us by sales price- like a damn used car. i'd be pissed to know I had a clearance price, because of the color of my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks for sharing this. I can definitely see your point . . . . especially about the race thing. Infuriating.

I wonder, do you think adoptees resent being more/less expensive based on their birthmom's financial needs? Or do you think they understand that everyone's financial situation is different and some moms need a little extra help to make sure that their babies are healthy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on May. 5, 2011