how do you stop your pre-schooler from wetting the bed?

My son has been potty trained for a year now and we are trying to get him to sleep with out a diaper. We have been trying for about 2 weeks now. Most nights he stays dry. But the last few nights he woke up early in the morning soaked. We have been limiting his fluid intakes after dinner. We have him empty his bladder before bed...Nothing seems to help, any suggestions?

erikamommy2

Asked by erikamommy2 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My boys were in pull ups until they were 6 or 7. It is common. Try no liquids except sips after 6. Milk is a biggie. No milk after 6. Make sure he knows it is ok to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. Once I explained that to my kids they stopped wetting the bed. OH and they were afraid to get up because it was dark. Now I always leave the bathroom light on.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• it depends on his bedtime! my girls go to bed at 9 pm so they dont get drinks after 730pm! What I did the first month was wake them up in the middle of the night so they could go potty! Now My 4 year old and my 2 year old dont wet the bed. It's worth a try, and Good luck.
    mama0406

Answer by mama0406 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Wake him in the middle of the night for a potty run. There are two options I've heard of:
    Wake him before you go to bed.
    OR
    Wake him about 1am. If he's still dry, try 1:30 the next night. Keep repeating and moving up the time until you find the time when he wets. Then wake him at least a half hour before that time every night until he learns to wake himself. Be aware that it can take several years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my daughter is 4 and she was fine for 2 years, now all of a sudden she wets her bed too..ive just started getting her up in the middle of the night (usually 12 or 1230) and take her to the bathroom..and she doesnt get anything to drink after 530pm..and is in bed between 830-9pm..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:00 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Great thanks for the advice!!!!
    erikamommy2

Answer by erikamommy2 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• He may just not be ready. Our pediatrician does not even begin to worry about this until age five. As long as he is trained during the day, that is all I'd worry about for now. It just "clicks" at one point, and this can be different for everyone. My 4-year-old was waking up with a wet pull-up every single morning. One day, she said she wanted to stop wearing pull-ups, and has only had three accidents since then (in about a month)--all three times, we gave her too much to drink before bed. I'd give him some time.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2008