I think my ds is sleepwalking?

11yo ds sometimes finds his blanket and pillows in another room in the mornings.I did catch him maybe sleepwalking once when he was 9,he was just about to pee in the corner of my room.I'm really just concerned with what he will do in his sleep?should I be concerned about this or is this normal?I don't remember sleepwalking as a child but dh says he does.

sarah389

Asked by sarah389 at 11:26 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I used to. I remember my parents putting stuff in front of the door because one night they caught me walking outside... LOL! Never really did anything else about it and I eventually outgrew it. I think I was just over stimulated and couldn't relax....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My 7 year old has done that a couple of times. I even caught him peeing into the bagged garbage can. I SWEAR he was awake while peeing, but he had zero recollection of it the next morning.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have sleptwalked a few times in my childhood...my mom told me the stories. The instances were few and far between so it wasn't an issue. I did have a friend though that sleptwalked every single night and her parents started worrying that she was going to end up outside or something so they locked her room from the outside and left a monitor in there in case she woke up and needed to go to the bathroom or something. I don't think you should be too worried unless it starts being an every night occurance or what he does in his sleeps starts getting more serious...leaving his pillow in another room isn't bad. Maybe just make sure there isn't anything left out that he could trip on or anything within his immediate reach that he could get hurt with. Obviously make sure the doors are all locked and if you have stairs, maybe put a gate up. Other than that, it probably is just a occasional thing that is normal for many people
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter sleepwalks and dr said that if she isn't doing things to hurt herself(not knowing, of course) then it is ok, but if he is doing it all the time then I would have a sleepstudy done, cus' he could have apnea or something could just be bothering him. My daughter was in between the ages of 6-9 when she did this. Her counseleor that we were going to said that kids that age are busy and some kids' minds don't stop being busy when they should be sleeping.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 10:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I would ask his pediatrician about it, and also make sure he can't hurt himself or leave the house while he is sleepwalking
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:18 PM on May. 5, 2011