Best way to get rid of pacifier?

My oldest son will be 3 in August. He has been paci crazy since birth. I have been trying to take his paci for awhile now and keep failing. He cries and acts awful until he gets it. I like that he has it for comfort, but hes getting too old for it. I have tried to have him give it to the baby horse (my husband's grandparents have a farm), and he just isn't that generous! Recently I cut the tip of one, but he just cries and says he wants one out of the cabinet, which is where I keep extras. I am out of ideas.. I know it won't be easy on him either way, but if anyone has any tips on how to take the paci with the least amount of tears I would love to hear your experience.

mommy.of.three

Asked by mommy.of.three at 11:41 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw them all in the garbage and tell him they're all gone. He throws the tantrums because he knows if he screams long enough that he'll get his way.

Or, if you just can't stand his whining and crying for a few days look up Super Nanny's Paci Fairy techniques.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:51 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My mom n dad packed all the pacifiers in the car, and were taking us to the fair when they started getting really worked up, telling my sister that it was the time of year that binkies like to fly, and everyone got to throw one out the window. They did make her excited, and somewhat pressured her, but she finally threw it out. When she needed a binky for bed or whatever, they went to dumdum suckers. Then, she only got a dumdum after she pottied in the stool. After a few months, she was off the pacifier, off the sucker, and Potty training.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:56 PM on May. 4, 2011

• When I got rid of my daughter's I sliced the end off of it, showed it to her, and then told her we needed to throw it away because it was broke. That's all it took. One of my friends' took her daughter to the lake and told her the fish babies needed it. So she threw it in there and that was that. All sorts of creative ways... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The only way is to prepare yourself for his tantrums until he gets over it. All of my kids were done with pacifiers before they were a year old because I knew it would only be worse if I waited until they were old enough to throw a real tantrum. You can try some of the suggestions above but in the end if none of those work he'll have to quit "cold turkey" and eventually he'll adjust. Good Luck.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I just took my sons away and gave them away to the daycare i worked at and told my son the babies needed it at the daycare and that he was a big boy. At this point when i took his binky away he was throwing fits and slapping at me b/c we were day breaking him of it and could only have it at bedtime. That was the last straw for me. It was a LONG month for us but when he finally forgot about needing a binky he was fine. We replaced the binky with a cuddle bear and now he still uses the cuddle bear at night. I think the reason it took so long for my son to get over his binky was 1) he was really attached to his binky 2) he was around other kids his age who still had their binky during the day and would rememeber his. Just when you decide what your going to do, stick to it! There will prob be atleast a few days of tears and being upset but soon the binky will be forgotten. Hang in there momma and good luck!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I never gave my kids a pacifier but pacifiers are like ba bas. Get rid of the pacifier like you did the baba in a way. But no matter what he is going to have tears until he doesn't get his own way anymore. Good luck!!
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 9:54 AM on May. 5, 2011

• You just have to outlast him. If he sees he always gets it back by throwing tantrums and crying he will continue to do so and it will only get worse as he starts doing that for everyting he wants. You will end up with a monster if you keep caving to the tantrums and crying! Get rid of all the pacifiers and don't keep extras. When he goes to where they were, show him they are all gone. Tell him the truth or make up a story like the pacifier fairies came and took all the pacifiers for the new babies being born that needed them more (my cousin used that for her kids). Ignore the tantrum and walk away. When he calms down and stops screaming and crying go to him and comfort him. Tell him you are proud he is a big boy and calmed himself down. Don't mention the pacifier! Get out a fun activity or game or toy for you to play with together and distract and redirect him from why he threw the tantrum in the first place.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 10:11 AM on May. 5, 2011

• A friend of mine did a paci party. She started talking about the Bye Bye Paci party. She made this huge deal out of it. She bought a cake. invited family, and everyone brought a small gift. Then for each paci he threw away he got a gift. He never asked for it again. Also if he knows about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny....you could do the Paci Fairy. Have him put all the paci's in a certain place before he goes to bed one night...and then the paci fairy leaves him a present.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:23 AM on May. 6, 2011