Messianic Judaism?

Does anybody have any first hand knowledge or experience with this belief system? I am really intrigued by what I have learned about it so far.

asmcbride

Asked by asmcbride at 11:43 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know much about it but have been meaning to find out. Over the last several years I find myself really drawn to the Jewish traditions, and I am wondering why so many of them have been written out of my Catholic faith and practices.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 12:07 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Aren't they also called "Jews for Jesus"?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:26 PM on May. 5, 2011

• anglemommy11- although I am not Catholic, I know what you mean. Over the last couple of years I have had a real drive to learn about the Jewish faith and Jesus' earthly roots.

MamaK88- some people call them that. I do not know if it is term they use themselves or not.

I know it is a long shot, but I am hoping to find someone on here that practices Messianic Judaism, or at least knows somebody that does.
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 3:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Jews for Jesus (or Messianic Jews) are a CHRISTIAN branch, not a Jewish one. They were created as an attempt to convert Jews to Christianity as Jews have traditionally been a difficult group to convert. They simply try to attract Jews by having familiar dogma, like the Shabbath or Passover seder but always claiming that Jesus was the Messiah, which obviously is NOT a Jewish belief.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:25 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Over the last couple of years I have had a real drive to learn about the Jewish faith and Jesus' earthly roots.

Yes, me too, and thank you for asking the question. Jesus was real and we can start with Jewish generations alive today that have ancestors who knew Jesus or some kind of oral history. This would be fascinating for me. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:07 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Messianic Jews are evangelicals pretending to be jews for dubious reasons at best.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 7:37 PM on May. 6, 2011

• I am a Messianic Jew. It was the very first form of Christianity. All Christians, by definition, are MJs. Anything you wanna know, just ask.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:31 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Just an fyi, Jews for Jesus and MJs are NOT the same thing. J4J is an organization, not a religious denomination! Messianic Judaism is a Christian denomination.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:54 PM on May. 13, 2011

• Thank you for responding hill_star. I am greatly curious about how Judaism and Christianity are interwoven. If you don't mind I would love to ask you some questions =)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 9:55 PM on May. 13, 2011