Does anyone have experience with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?

My daughter has it(12). They have gone back and forth with Tourette's and OCD. (MY 9 yr old has Tourette's, May be why they initially thought that) They have settled on OCD about 2 yr now. Well she is having a tough time for about 3 weeks now and dr isn't really taking me seriously. Ok here it is~~~~ she does this thing where she breathes in reeeeaaaalllll deeeeeep! then exhales reeaaalll slow and fans herself while she does this. It is not only bothering her because she wants to stop but she is now doing it so severely that she is getting lightheaded and stomach cramps because she tenses when she does it. I feel so helpless! They use to sell something that was all natural that dissolved on tongue to help relax but i just don't know. Does anyone know of any meds (prescription or all natural) that they have had a good result with? Or any other suggestions?

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 12:13 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I am so sorry...im going through the same thing. Except...I have OCD. I have had it for a very long time. Never went to the doctor but i KNOW i have it. I stress the muscles in my throat and i want to stop so bad because i will keep doing it till it feels right to quit and sometimes i keep goin even when i need to breath but i cant help it. :-/ It gives me a horrible headache. When i was younger, i had to have everything skin tight. I would pull my shoe laces so tight they would break. I would have my belts so tight they would leave sore red indentions on my stomach. I still have OCD when it comes to clothes..but its not so specific, such as having them so tight.
    It is so hard and i feel for her so much. Unfortunetely, i have no idea what could help. Maybe you could help me too??
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:21 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My nephew is 12 and has Tourette's. For years, my sister didn't want to acknowledge that there was something wrong with him. When he was quite young, the pediatrician told her that he might have it. I immediately went on line and did some serious research. Last year, she told me that he was embarrassed about his ticks and was unable to focus on anything for too long. I told her about what I had learned years before. She had him tested for food allergies. He is allergic to many food products, including gluten. He is now gluten free. His ticks aren't as noticeable to him or anyone else. His attention span is amazing. This past Christmas, I had the most amazing phone conversation EVER. I just about cried. Regarding OCD, I know so little about it. I can only refer you to www.medlineplus.com. This website allows you research OCD. The doctors, nurses, and medical students here use it. Hope this helps
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Forgot to mention that it is so bad that she can not talk or take a bite or anything until she has done it a while!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• well i also have OCD. Not as severe as hers or probably yours. I hate odd numbers and different little things like that bother me. but i have never had to treat it. TY for posting !
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 12:25 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Hers sounds a lot like mine. And it is miserable. Its embarrassing too. And you said she is 12 years old? I would try taking her to a doctor and seeing what they can do for her. I went through a breathing episode too. Not quite like that, but i had a feeling like i couldnt breath. I was just fine, but my OCD would kick in where i would have to take deep breaths, so much where i would feel like i was going to pass out. It would be hard to sleep at times too. I hope you can find a solution, because with her being this young, she is going to have other things going on that is going to make her feelin insecure just because of hormones at the age and all that. The last thing she needs to worry about is this. I always felt like i was "weird". or different.
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• She does homeschool so not in regular classroom! Thank goodness! So no teasing there and kids she is exposed to are extrememly understanding!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Wow!! That is so great!! Thank goodness cuz it was very hard for me! When i get nervous ((please dont laugh at me)) i make noises with my throat. So any time there was a test...and the whole room was silent but my noise that i couldnt help making....super embarassing!!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time out to help us! That was very nice!
    Thank you!! i will look into that now!!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:46 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yea my 9 yr old makes all kinds of loud noises(tourette's) and usually at most inappropriate times. Like when he knows he has to keep it down it is harder at movies and such. My poor babies.
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 12:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I have a 6 month old daughter... i hope she doesnt go through what i have been struggling with for a very long time
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 12:48 AM on May. 5, 2011