Anyone living near the Mississippi River?

How are you all doing?

The Mississippi River continues to rise, so much so that its tributaries are starting to flow backwards

Right now the Mississippi river is in the process of going through what we call an epic flood, meaning it's more than historic, it's more than a 100 year flood, it's more like a 500 year flood," he said. "We could flood many homes, businesses, close down factories, people could drown."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:24 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yea my cousin lives directly on the river but she is coming here tomorrow to stay with me. We are in Louisiana but only about $% minutes from Mississippi river so she won't be too far!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I actually live about 2 blocks away from the Mississippi River in Minnesota. In my area there was high water but no flood, and flood season is downstream now. In southern MN they sandbagged for weeks building up for the floods they knew were coming in the Red river Valley.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• The Army Corps of Engineers is trying to out smart it by shutting down the Tennessee River and closing all other tributaries and dams that feed into the Mississippi. According to Rench, "we're hoping and praying that the plans and actions that the Corp has taken, this strategy is going to work."

I don't but I sure hope their plan works, God bless them!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:33 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes ma'am! Right on it! Here is the latest picture of our retaining wall...

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Sorry that was Monday... Here is today's

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:22 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It's actually crested now, it's a little higher than Monday, but will now probably start to go down. The breach of the levee near Cairo is about 30 miles down river from us. If you want to see more photos, here is today's photos:

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:24 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Nope and yeah people could drown (if they are stupid enough to hang around)
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:55 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We are close but not close enough to be affected. We have friends in the area headed here just to be on safe side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 5, 2011