Can I call the ASPCA over this?

When we moved to this street a few months ago we met a 17 year old up the street who used to breed birds and my sister and I each bought a hand fed cockatiel from him. He gets free animals off of craigslist all the time and he has 2 puppies that he just got today. His girlfriend and his daughter live there with his grandpa. He keeps his rats and guinea pigs outside in a tent full time. The kind of tent you would sleep in if you went camping. He doesn't have birds anymore but he has several rabbits that he keeps in travel size cages in his bedroom, which is a mess and smells like animals. He is a hoarder basicly. He insists all his animals are well cared for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Pets

• 2 pups, some rabbits, a few rats and guinea pigs does not a hoarder make. Keeping rabbits inside sounds a bit odd though. It depends on what state you live in as to the laws stating how many animals you can have. I live in Ky and there are no laws like that here, maybe because we're not in a city. If you called and they came out to take a look, if the animals are well taken care of, they won't do anything. Are you willing to risk animosity with a neighbor over something this? All I'm saying is you should really give it some thought before you do anything.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:06 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It might be worth looking into. It couldn't hurt..and hey..might help those animals in the end..right?
    Ella_Bella20

Answer by Ella_Bella20 at 12:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• You don't have to contact the ASPCA, just call your local animal control.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:08 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i would call if i were you
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• In all honesty, I'm not sure that I would call him a hoarder based only on what you posted OP. Were the birds you and your sister bought from him well fed and healthy? Do any of his other animals appear unhealthy? If he is picking up unwanted animals and rehoming them, he is actually doing a good thing ~ and it may be that he loves animals and has turned that love into a small income.

While some people may consider the tent with cages inside as unusual or wrong, it isn't a bad place for rats or guinea pigs. There is fresh air, shelter from the sun and rain, and if they are fed and watered regularly they are fine. The same goes for the rabbits. Mine are on deep bedding all winter ... it looks wrong, but they are incredibly healthy and happy.

As for his room being a mess, the kid is 17. If he has a gf living there, how much of the mess is shared? I'd be more concerned about his daughter than the critters ... personally.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:29 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Even if he's not doing anything illegal, there has to be some kind of law/limit to how many pets you can have. I'd look into it.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 9:44 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Can't hurt just to make sure they all are being taken care of.
    klr4

Answer by klr4 at 9:47 PM on May. 7, 2011