Court wedding

My fiance and I are getting married in the court room in 2 months. I've ALWAYS dreamed of having a big beautiful wedding, I've always craved a big open field and a gorgeous dress. But he's on disability, and I am a stay at home mom and we have very little money to spend, plus my car costs 1000 to fix.

Is renewing your vows later on just as beautiful as having a wedding? Could it be set up like a wedding?

I'm just scared that I'll regret not having my family there and not having a wedding dress. (I got a black and white short prom dress)

What was your wedding like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes you can set up like a wedding if you want to. I had a court house wedding also.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:59 AM on May. 5, 2011

• After almost 11 years, I'm still waiting to have the wedding I've always dreamed :/

Thanks to the economy now, I highly doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Our wedding was very small and done quickly. None of my best friends were able to make it, nor was any of his family able to come down for it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:59 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I had a "real" church wedding...dress...reception..all that jazz. Then 10 yrs later I got divorced. Never thought about getting married again. Met a wonderful man. We got married 5 yrs ago. At the courthouse. Then went out to lunch afterward. I loved the 2nd "wedding" better. No pressures, no big bucks involved & we are way happier then I was with my "real" wedding. Maybe some people find it important to go through the whole thing but to me, what is important is the person you are marrying not the big showy thing before hand
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 5, 2011

• did it feel like you actually got married? that's another thing I'm thinking..."When we're in that room, after it's over will it FEEL like we just got married? or will it feel like we just wasted an hour being bored"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:01 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We had a court house wedding. It was just us and our two kids and a photographer. It was beautiful and romantic. Keep in mind its not about the wedding its about being married and joining two lives together. Spending all that money so other ppl can bitch and complain about the food and the venue and the music really isn't all that important. Whats important is that you two have eachother.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm paying a church $50 to marry me and my man on June 1. I'm wearing a pair of new white capris and a turquoise shirt. Its gonna rock!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• my grandparents never had a real wedding and on their 50 anniv. their kids paid for them to have a real wedding. I am planning on getting married, but Im in no rush. I see no problem in anyone getting married at the court house but if its not what you want why do it. People always tell me I'll never have the money saved to have a wedding, true but it'll be something memorable for me, my husband to be and everyone who attends. In the end, your marriage isnt about how much it cost, or how big and beautiful it was, its about you and your husband vowing to love each other no matter what. Some of the biggest weddings end in divorce months later. You can get married in your blue jeans, just as long as you do it you're happy because you know you found your one true love.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 1:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My husband and I went to Hawaii and got married with no family and no friends. I wouldn't have it any other way! Congrats! And yes, you can renew your vows anytime!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm that first anon: Of COURSE I feel married! We had vows, we exchanged rings, we signed the marriage license. All the same things you do at a "real" wedding minus the big to-do. There was surely nothing "boring" about it! I looked into the eyes of the man I loved & made a promise to him. It was in a court room. Big deal. It didnt make it any less REAL to us. We left there two of the happiest people you will ever see.
    Anonymous

• We did the whole court wedding thing. I never wanted a big wedding. I think they're a waste of money, but to each their own. No, it didn't feel like we were really married, but I don't know. To me getting married was a big scary thing - so many legal issues involved.
    Anonymous