Who's House?

Ok so were renting a house from my moms boyfriend 2 and 1/2 hours north from them. And whenever they want they drop by, no warning, no call, no nothing. When they get here they leave all the lights on, move our stuff around and dont make my daughter obey MY house rules!!!! But heres my question, yes the house/property is in his name, BUT i pay the full mortgage, electric, water and cable/internet/phone Which we dont even used the home phone because we have our cell phones, and we dont use the cable because we have netflix through our xbox 360. But we cant change ANYTHING, and we get charged for EVERYTHING!!! Who's house is it, mine or his?

wife_mother1790

Asked by wife_mother1790 at 1:02 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Its like you are renting it,but he does not have the right to act like you don't exist. I would have to put down some rules and have him sign them.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh it your house until you move.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Its yours, but it doesnt sound like that really matters right now.

Also...wouldnt you need the cable connection to get the netflix on your xbox?
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Do you have a formal rental agreement? If not, there really isn't much you can do about their behavior, even if it is wrong, which it is. BUT, if you have a formal rental agreement (signed & all), then you have certain legal rights as a tenant regardless of your familial relationship. Among those rights is that your family would not be able to enter your home whenever they feel like it and, if you really wanted to, you could take legal action to stop it. Also, by having a rental agreement, you can have specified in it what you will pay for & what the landlord is responsible for (utilities, repairs/maintanance, insurance, etc.).

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If you are renting the house.. its still his house, but you have say over what goes in and out of it. If you are renting it he is lending ownership to you. If they want to show up at your front door they have to give you 24 hours notice before doing so. Also if you dont want these amenities provided you can get them disconnected. Except for the power, because thats an intricate part to running any household. There are rules that he must follow as your landlord. You should get a hold of your local rentalsman to see what rights you have. Perhaps get him a copy so he is on the same page.
    The bottom line is.. he cant have his cake and eat it too. He cant have you in there paying all the bills renting it and still have free reign over the house.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 9:39 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Wish2be: no all we need is internet. Everyone else, there is no agreement! It was all verbal. and im getting so tired of it. i guess ill call a realtor and see if i cant get help, thanks.
    wife_mother1790

Comment by wife_mother1790 (original poster) at 11:40 AM on May. 5, 2011

• No help here but it seems kinda rude for them to just show up whenever
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 12:49 PM on May. 5, 2011

• In my opinion, this isn't going to change until you MOVE. They still feel like it is THEIR house.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• yours, do you have a rental agreement?
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think this is something they are doing because he owns the home....I think it is a parent thing. My Mom moved in with us and she changes everything all the time. She also lets my daughter do things that are against my rules as well. I hate it and have no idea how to make her stop. Talking to her has not worked. So, if you find a solution, I would love to know what it is. ;)
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:34 PM on May. 5, 2011