Are there Pre-K programs offered by the county where you live?

Here it's called VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten). If so, what are the hours they will be attending? I'm going over the paperwork now and it says from 7:30am to 6pm. Seems excessive, doesn't it? I think we'll pass.

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 1:20 AM on May. 5, 2011 in

• thats way too much. maybe its for an after school program too for working parents?
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:21 AM on May. 5, 2011

• That's horrible hours! Or are those just the hours it's open and you choose when your kid goes? I just can't imagine--they don't even keep high-schoolers that long.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:26 AM on May. 5, 2011

• sounds more like they are preparing them to hate school
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My son went to Pre-K last year. The school hours were from 8-2:30 but they were open for before and after care. They opened at 7 am and the child had to be picked up by 6pm.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:58 AM on May. 5, 2011

• That doesn't make sense. They would have to go to school Sunday-Saturday for 10 hours each day just to do that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:41 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh, I see. I thought you meant 30 straight days.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:50 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son will be going to a public pre-school August to May. Starts at 8:45 and pick up is at 12. He will go Monday thru Thursday. That does seem long, but I'm sure they have alot of play, and other fun things to do. It could be for parents that work and can't pick up there child in the middle of the day. My son's preschool has the option for an all day, but It doesn't work with my school schedule to pick him up then.
    Londyns07mommy

Answer by Londyns07mommy at 12:09 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It seems like a glorified way of saying that, doesn't it? The paperwork states it's for "kindergarten readiness".

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 1:22 AM on May. 5, 2011

• The curriculum is to complete 300 hours within 30 days. 8am-2:30pm is more along the lines of what I expected.

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 9:52 AM on May. 5, 2011

• How does that not make sense? If the kids are in school from 7:30am-6pm, that's 10.5 hours. I'm sure they don't count the .5 since that is lunch, so that's 10hrs/day. 300 total hours divided by 10 hours per day = 30 days. The days are from June 20th to August 10th.

banana-bear

Comment by banana-bear (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 5, 2011