What to do when 2 share a room, but only 1 in school?

I have an idea what I'm going to do with my boys since the older boy will start school in August, but at the same time I'm curious as to what others do with their kids that share a room.

Do they ALL wake up at the same time in the morning regardless of who stays home and who goes to school? Do you use an alarm clock in that room or do you gently wake up the one that NEEDS to get up in the morning?

My soon to be Kindergartner shares a room with his 2 yr old brother. Yes, they will probably wake up together and do a routine, but just wondering what others do...not just with 2 yr olds, but babies and older kids...so on so forth.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 2:18 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 2 youngest share a room. They are 4 & 5. I just wake up the 5 yr old & let the other one sleep. But if she happens to get up she just hangs out with us while getting ready. Then I give her some breakfast & let her watch a show. (my other one eats at school...she likes it better because they have coco puffs there & I wont buy them lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I taught my sons from infancy to be sound sleepers. From the time my oldest son was 5 and his younger brothers were 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 (the newborn slept in our room until he was 1 and his oldest brother was 6) until my oldest left for college at almost 18 we hadall of our sons sharing a room (the 3rd bedroom was always their play/TV room and their bedroom was just for sleeping). Their brothers could wake up fussing in the middle of night and no one else would wake up when we still had babies and toddlers, I could take them to the the bathroom in the middle of the night and they would pee in their sleep without waking up, etc.. So, for me, this was never an issue. I would just wake up whoever needed to be up and the others slept through it. Of course, they all curse me now for teaching them to sleep so soundly....they are 24, 23, 20 and 19 and could sleep through a tsunami without so much as twitch in their sleep. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I am there right now, lol. It is rough.... my son is in kinder and daughter will be in it next fall. we have his clothes and things out of the bedroom the night before and we installed black out curtains to keep it super dark in there. I basically wake him up and pull him out, closing the door behind him. then we get him ready as quietly as possible. his school bus comes about 7:20 and she will roll out of bed anywhere from 9-10am
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:17 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Mine don't share a room, and my oldest gets up earlier than everyone but by the time my 9 and 11 yo's get up for elementary school, we wake up everyone in the house - 2 yo and 10 month old included to start the day together. It's nice for everyone to spend some time together in the morning before everyone goes their separate ways. I SAH with the 2yo and 10 month old, but I like for them to see their siblings and dad for a bit in the morning.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on May. 5, 2011