• In the Spotlight:

labor

ok so i live in colorado and it snows alot the month that my little girl is due the only car we have is a big van that dont have 4 weel drive my hospital is on the other side of town and i live in a big city should i be worried about my mom driving to fast when i get in labor if it is really snowing and if so wut should i do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Id map out ways to the hospital where you know itll be main roads that will have been salted. I would also ask around and see if there isnt anyone with a 4x4 that can make themselves available to take you if theres a snow storm going on. That way you have an alternative plan and a mapped out way there.

Answer by gemgem at 8:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Is this your first? Most likely you dont have to rush. It can take several hours. When you feel like you are in labor then slowly go. It is better to take your time than have an accident in labor.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• When labor starts, don't wait to go to the hospital. I usually recommend to people that they stay at home as long as possible because it's more comfy at home. In your case just head out once you are sure labor is underway. In most cases there is no need to rush because it takes your body a long time to get ready for delivery. Also, you should discuss this with your doctors because they may recommend inducing labor to avoid the type of emergency that you are worried about.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If it's your first, you should hopefully have a good amount of time to get to the hospital without worrying. But just the same, I would never hesitate to call an ambulance if you go into labor and seem to be progressing quickly! It's probably a better idea to let the EMTs deal with the treacherous driving and be able to tend to you if necessary at the same time!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Leave for the hospital a little earlier than they tell you too. Most say between 3-5 minutes, but leave when they'r eabout 5-10 minutes so you dont have to rush.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I live in Colorado too. Snow isn't that consistent. It's not worth stressing over. If worst comes to worst, call an ambulance.
    lisafdoula

Answer by lisafdoula at 9:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008