Poverty Level?

How many of you fit into the poverty guidelines?
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/11poverty.shtml

It says that most government programs base it off of 125% of the poverty guidelines. Based on that, my family is considered in poverty, with 6 members and an income of $33000. 125% of the poverty guidelines for 6 family members is $37487.50. We are by no means living in poverty, but we are also not "well off". We get by, pay check to pay check.

Anyway, does your family fit into the poverty guidelines? If so, do you feel you are in "poverty"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Just for Fun

• are they talking about what income you actually "see".... take home? We do very well, but very paycheck to paycheck. Our expenses are high because of steam heat in a crappy old house. An enormous chunk of our income goes to utilities. Blecchhh
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:21 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing because I couldn't find if it was gross or take home pay. If it's take home, then we are still in poverty level income, but if it's gross, we're slightly above for the first time ever. I feel like we do alright. Very few luxuries (just internet, really, but I needed that for school), etc. We can't afford cable or anything like that, but we make it alright.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• According to that, for four household members it says we should have $22,350 or above. DH was bringing in $20,000 before taxes and FICA, IF he worked overtime, but he's had recent medical issues and has been on leave (NTM it seems they want to fire him, perhaps because he's started his own business, which isn't bringing any take-home pay yet). Pretty much the only way we've been going is various forms of charity and aid these past few years. I would love to get off of any assistance. I'm hoping I can find a job that brings in $30,000 or more.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• If you are living paycheck to paycheck, that is a form of poverty.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We may be close, but our lifestyle is much different. We will have our home paid off in 5 years. Our house payment is only around 360 with ins rolled in. My workd is seasonal...I work part time in the winter, but in the summer over time. This helps feather our nest for the winter months. DH works full time year round. I do a Christmas Club at the bank every year so there is no shopping/money stress for the holidays. I garden and can what I grow and pick. I stock pile non parishable food and household items for over the winter. We have a wood burner for heating our home. So we get wood from a friend who has a tree service. He drops it off for free in big chunks, we have a log splitter, we split it up and let it season for the following year. I do buy clothes from Old Navy, The Childrens Place etc, but look for sales..and I do go into the Good Will Store and get great deals. I clip coupons and watch for sales.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• What I meant by we get by pay check to pay check is that we don't have much put away in savings. We have about $200/pay left for "spending money"...And mostly, that's only because of the enormous travel fees we have to pay each year (for visitation with my husband's oldest child while we aren't in the US).

I think that the income is based off of your income after taxes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 PM on May. 5, 2011