Dr. Ferber method or Dr. Sears method... which do you prefer?

I am trying to get my daughter to fall asleep and stay asleep on her own. I try to rock her to sleep and put her in her crib but she wakes up and wants me to do it again at like 1AM or 4AM and I cannot keep doing it. (Especially with #2 on its way.) I tried the cry it out 2 nites ago and she was screaming for like 30 minutes, even with me going in every 5 to 10 minutes. Which do you prefer? Any advice or tips???

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 8:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to look at what you can tolerate and your child's temperment.

For me, if I had gone back in every 5 or 10 minutes, my daughter would NEVER have fallen asleep. When I tried to rock her to sleep (so sweet an image in my mind) she screamed and screamed. She would NOT sleep with any stimulation. In the end (after nearly a year of trying to be "kind" and "loving") I had to let her cry it out. I put her in her crib, kissed her good night, and went back only if I thought something was wrong. Yes, she screamed. But she screamed no matter what I tried. And after a few days she started falling asleep more easily than ever before.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I agree with kaycee14. I personally prefer Dr. Sears method. However, I think that one might work better for one parent and child, whereas the other would work better for another. The best thing to do, if you are doing it is to set up a consistent routine. Turn off the television half an hour to an hour before bed, play quiet games, draw a bath, or whatever it is you want to do. Set a half hour wind down period. Then you can put on pajamas, rock in the chair and read a book. After the book is done put her in her bed. Set a consistent bedtime, routine, and stick with it. After about a week or two, hopefully she will understand. Maybe you do that already?
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 8:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Dr. Sears all the way. Dr. Ferber's method is surrounded in too much controversy let alone not even supported fully by Dr Ferber himself. There are way too many methods out there to use the one (CIO) that has studies stating it may cause damage.

Anonymous

• we are on night 6 of cio--nothing else worked for us. if somethingis wrong then i go check--it does get easier. good luck
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Have you tried the No Cry Sleep Solution? I'm doing that now with my 21 month old and he's improving. It's not a quick fix but it does work. Crying it out isn't an option for me, no matter how my child is. I don't think it's right. I'm also expecting. I'm 29 weeks pregnant with number 6. While his night nursing and waking don't bother me(he only rolls to find the boobie, he doesn't cry or anything), I'd just prefer not to have to get up with two kids several times a night. Good luck.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think the best thing you can do is listen to your baby. I'm not a fan of cry it out, but.... I have learned that there is no one simple solution that fits all. My first was a piece of cake to put down. My one year old is a piece of cake to put down for some people, a little difficult for others, and impossible for me. There is a difference between a baby who needs something, a baby who is scared or feels abandoned, and a baby who is just plain upset about having to go to bed. My best advice is to know your baby and your babies cries, and respond appropriately.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 10:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2008