Would you be offended if a friend stole your baby name?

jlfield

Asked by jlfield at 3:58 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Baby Names

• Not offended, but very annoyed. If we were both pregnant and she tried to use it I would def be mad, if I wasn't pregnant and she was and I told her an Idea then I would be less annoyed. If the friend used the name I have for my 4yr old then probably not.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think I'd be offended, but I would definitely be annoyed, like cassie said. If it was my older child, no, but if I was pregnant I would be annoyed.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I might be but only if I had shared the name with her. I usually don't tell anyone the name till the baby is born.. :) Hey who is this irissrrr? I saw this same reply on another question.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 6:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I reported it Autumn07. Obviously it's a lame-o spammer. Cafemom should remove very quickly--they're really intolerant of that BS here.

OP--without having any details surrounding the "theft" of the name, I really can't say how I'd feel. Any way you could provide the story behind what happened?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:58 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I can't say whether I would or wouldn't be offended since I've never been in a situation like this. But I don't really see how anyone can steal a name. A name is a name. People hear something they like and they use it. My daughter's name is Scarlett Abigail and if another friend of mine used that name while we were both pregnant, I am going to say I wouldn't be offended or annoyed. I mean, there's more than one child named Scarlett or Abigail. I'd be more flattered that someone liked the name I chose so much that they used it. But honestly I can't say my answer is 100% until I'm put in a situation like this.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:55 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I would be. That's why my 2 favorite girls names are closely guarded secrets. =)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Are we talking about her snatching it from under my nose days before my child of the same sex was born? Or a name I'd talked about liking but she was the one having the baby long before me. Honestly, in the 1st case I'd be annoyed and wonder if she knew I was planning to use the same name. I'd still get over it and use it myself. In the 2nd case, well, it isn't like I'd put down a deposit to reserve the name now, is it?
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Yes, I would be.
    -NatureChild-

Answer by -NatureChild- at 3:39 PM on May. 5, 2011

• yes, but only if I had told her the idea.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'd have to say not offended but annoyed like the first lady said. I just think that its pretty annoying that of all the names in the universe that had to be the one she wanted? I wouldn't let it get under skin too much, move on but dang that is annoying. LOL
    oliviahw

Answer by oliviahw at 4:28 PM on May. 5, 2011