Why did he not worry about a inciting the radicals back then?

The decision to make public the images sought in a legal action by the American Civil Liberties Union comes amid a political firestorm over alleged torture of detainees under President George W. Bush.

Some of the photographs, which will be released before May 28, are said to show American service personnel humiliating prisoners, according to officials.

The images relate to more than 400 separate cases involving alleged prisoner abuse between 2001 and 2005.

The administration initially planned to release only the 21 photos sought by the ACLU, but General David Petraeus ordered that all 2,000 photographs be released to keep from "dragging this issue out forever".

The Pentagon fears a backlash in the Middle East similar to the one provoked by pictures from Abu Ghraib prison, near Baghdad, in 2004 which became emblematic of American mistakes in Iraq.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/5215068/Barack-Obama-to-release-up-to-2000-photographs-of-prisoner-abuse.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:29 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Simple, he wasn't president when the things happened so it's not HIS fault. He thinks they'll blame Bush not him. Clueless!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 7:13 AM on May. 5, 2011

• don't worry,those photos will come out. despite what Obama wants.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:18 AM on May. 5, 2011

• What good will it do to release ANY photos of ANY prisoners, any of it? I don't enjoy seeing that crap.I don't see what GWB or Obama have to do with that?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:11 AM on May. 5, 2011

• His words and actions have been very clear that he wants to be as transparent as possible about the past administration. Not so much with his own though.

I don't know the right answer when it comes to the photos.  I don't know if it will incite more violence or not.  The people that will end up acting out are people that hate us anyhow.  I don't know that a photo is going to make any difference at all.  I don't intend to look at any photos of his dead body, but I understand if there are some that feel they need to see it. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Wow... people will blame Obama (or whatever president is leading the country) for anything and everything under the sun. The article stated plain as day that it was General Patraeus who ordered all of the photo's be released, the article clearly stated that they were being released under court order. So wtf does this have to do w/Obama? There's plenty of legitimate things to blame him for, why not start there?
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 9:28 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I find this highly suspect. I see the papers date is today but the articles date is 2009. There is no info here except that up to 2000 photos will be released by the 28th. I only found one other article but it pointed to this one. None of it makes sense to me. Is it even real? Seems to me it would be utterly stupid to release these now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• The administration initially planned to release only the 21 photos sought by the ACLU, but General David Petraeus ordered that all 2,000 photographs be released to keep from "dragging this issue out forever".

Taking his advice maybe^^^

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I was reading somewhere that they are about to release a bunch more pictures..can't remember where it was though. As the CinC Obama could stop the release regardless of what Petraeus wants.

I don't think the release of any pics will make things worse or better. We are dealing with a group of people we cannot make peace with because they don't want peace. Pics..no pics...another excuse for whatever was already being planned.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• They're already foaming at the mouth over the death of Bin Laden, let's add more fuel to the fire just to make the ACLU shut up? Really? There's a lot scarier things in this world to worry about then the ACLU. My husband says cases like those are the reason the Army brought back the interment/resettlement MOS in the MP field!

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:35 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Agree with ysk
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:44 AM on May. 5, 2011