Should I write a letter to the school??

We just got home from the science fair and I am really disappointed in the winner they picked for the 5th grade. I am not one of those parents that is upset when my kid doesn't win something and truly I think there were many other worthy winners, but the kid that won did a taste test between brand name soda and off brand soda. For me it wasn't very scientific but more like a marketing thing. (cont. below)

Geminus

Asked by Geminus at 8:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• There were projects like why and how vinegar pulls the shell of a raw egg and crystal growing and many other really science worthy things. It wasn’t till we left the school and were eating dinner that I found out the girls who won…her mother works at the school. But to top it all off the kid came to say hi to my daughter and she said “I can’t believe I won first place, I didn’t even know what I was going to do until the day before we had to turn it in so I just did that real fast.”
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 8:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am just disappointed that it was obviously not a fair and just judgment and some of those kids worked really long and hard on their projects but the kid that threw hers together the day before won and it so happened that her mom works there. Is there something wrong with me thinking this way and should I address this with the school?
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 8:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Do you know the reason why she won? Maybe it wasn't the topic of her experiment. Could her presentation, research and participation be what helped her win? Just curious. What grade did your child receive on the project?
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yes I know how you feel, schools can be very clicky. My childens school puts on a 5th grade play every year. If the PTA president has a child in 5th grade that year they always get the lead part, other lead parts go to children of parents who volunteer alot and work at the shool. I really wish someone would say something because it's not right. There are some parents that cant be as involved as others and there are parents that just don't care to get involved in their child's school. This is not right to do this to children.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• They haven't receive the grade yet. Her presentation was just like all the others, tri-fold board and neatly laid out and typed. The kid who won second place had a good idea but his was hand written and a lil sloppy but still a good idea and you could tell he did put thought and time into it. So I don't think it was that. I guess what bothers me most is her attitude that she did it on a whim and it wasn't really scientific. I don't see what is scientific about having your family members drink soda over growing crystals or some of the other things.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 8:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would around and see what sort of judging system was used. obviously she shouldn't have gotten many points for creativity.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 8:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think it shows them that it's ok to pick favorites and be unfair just because of status.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 8:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You need to check what the criteria was for judging the project. The students should be judged on how they follow the scientific process. The other experiments you listed may sound cooler, but if they didn't follow the guidelines or do the board correctly they would lose points. There are very specific criteria that need to be followed in order to earn the most points. The winner may have had an advantage because her mom knew what was expected.

I wouldn't write a letter.  Why don't you just ask your daughter's teacher about it?

Anonymous

• SOUNDS UNFAIR TO ME- I ALWAYS HATED DOING ANYTHING AT SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU KNOW THAT THE KID'S WHOSE PARENT ARE AT THE SCHOOL OR HAVE DONATED MONEY ARE ALWAYS GONNA WIN. CONGRATS TO YOUR CHILD FOR WORKING SO HAR- I AM SORRY TO HEAR SHE DID'NT WIN,
    Anonymous