What do you do when your kids are driving you crazy?

So, I am very early in a pregnancy, and very hormonal and moody. My son and my dog are driving me crazy today. They are both doing things they know they aren't supposed to. What do you do when your kids, both human and furry, are driving you nuts and testing your patience?

Danda08

Asked by Danda08 at 7:30 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have daddy take over and go take a nap or a long hot bath/shower.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:32 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Redirect their attention to something else in the hopes they will stop their behavior, change of scenery often helps as well. You can take them for a walk and wear them out.

Answer by gemgem at 7:33 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Usually when my kids are driving me crazy I try to see if it is me or if they are really doing something that is wrong. If it is me then I usually either put the TV on or tell the kids we are having quiet time. When they were little I would say "ok quiet time" and we would go lay in my bed and I would read them a book or to and then say "try to close your eyes and take a nap" Now that they are older I say "I know you aren't really misbehaving although I am on edge so could you please stop doing that."

I also might ask my mom to come over and babysit so I could go out for a little while or so I could go take a nap. I remember after my 3rd child was born I was so tired and I needed a break. I called her and asked if she could come help for a little while because I had a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn. She came over and I slept for about 1 hour, it was great. At the time DH was going to school & working nights!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I used to go outside and s moke a cigarette but since I quit.... well sometimes I give myself a timeout in the bathroom. I turn the fan on so I can't har anything for a few minutes to get myself back together
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:38 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Give your child a few blankets and some chairs and tell him to build a fort for him and the dog. After he finishes give him a snack and a book and tell him its a camp out. Give him some string and some cereal, like cheerios, and ask him to make you a necklace. Get some shaving cream and put it on the table and allow him to play in it, write in it etc.....cleans up very easily and doesn't stain. Make some popcorn, put blankets on the windows, pop in his favorite movie and pretend your at the theater.
    2and2onway

Answer by 2and2onway at 8:15 AM on May. 5, 2011

• zone out and ignore it...clean up later. no reason to let my nerves get worked up over nothing and start screaming and yelling. I see a lot of moms get all worked up over the smallest things and before you know it they are screaming over every thing. just chill out. more than likely if you just ignore it then things wont progress
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I give myself a time out, one minute for every year! That's 40 minutes!!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:55 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I lock myself in the bathroom for a few minutes and read a book, if that doesn't help we all go outside.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't have animals but if my kids can't behave they go to their room on the other side of the house away from me until they are ready to behave. There isn't much for them to do in their rooms so they usually calm down quick. Or, since my kids are older, I toss them out the door if the weather is nice and tell them not to come back until dinner time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:32 PM on May. 5, 2011

• lock myself in my room LOL!
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:27 PM on May. 5, 2011