Will or eating a lot of white bread give you genstational diabetes?

I know I have to eat breakfast being pregnant (I am 26 weeks and 2 days), but I don't like anything breakfast food wise(I normally don't eat breakfast) all I like is toast. I tried weat bread, but I couldn't do it. It was nasty so I eat white bread. I eat about 2-4 pieces of toast for breakfast. Normally 4 because 2 doesn't fill me up. I can eat which is my favorite is pancakes or walfuls. I have gained 45 pounds this pregnancy so far and I haven't been eating out that much. I eat 3 times a day with maybe 1-2 snacks. And still gain all this weight. With my first I gained 65 pounds, but I know why and it is because I craved chicken nuggets, fries and milk shake from mcdonalds so I got that every single day for like the first 4-5 months straight. But I was just wondering if eating a lot of bread will cause gestational diabetes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Gestational Diabetes is a medical condition that doesn't come from consumed food. If you are diagnosed with it you will have to watch what you eat - but for now nope.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 7:41 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It will not cause you to have it.
    However, if you are headed in that direction the carbs will elevate your glucose levels and not help the situation.
    Add water and a protein source to your meal, and help even out the carb load, this will help with regulating insulin and prevent the highs and lows associated with sudden high sugar intakes. Also, the sudden rise and then drop in glucose, will cause you to become hungry again sooner and crave more carbs. Vicious cycle you need to get off of. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:41 AM on May. 5, 2011

• No. That is caused by hormone changes all women have in their pregnancy but most women can make up the insulin they need while pregnant. If you do not then you get GD. I had it with 2 pregnancies. It just happens, and they dont know why it does in some women and not in others. However there is some that believe if you have a history of diabetes in your family you have a higher risk. But no eating bread doesnt cause it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• ok thanks ladies. I go today for an ultrasound because I was measuring to big and he wants to measure baby. My worst fear is I have that or preclamsia or something like that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• NO, the placenta controls the amount of insulinreleased.You can not prevent gestional diabetes! It can be controlled with a pill or insulin shots. When u get gest diabetes, ur placenta makes u resistant to the insulin ur body naturally makes. then as soon as u have the baby it usually goes away. i had gd with my first preg. and i have it now with this one. but it may occur with one preg and not the other. u can have a normal preg with this but... if it is not controlled u will put the baby at risk and ur self. Large baby ex. my son was born at 30 wks and he weighed 4lb 5oz. 17 3/4 in long and he was suppose to be between 2 and 3.5 lbs. I gained 60+ lbs during my 30 wks pregnancy, u may need to be tested, its time for it. If he had been full term he would have busted me.

premiebabyma519

Answer by premiebabyma519 at 8:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• you should try honey wheat
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:41 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Well, I really believe everyone who just said no is totally WRONG. I am 31 weeks pregnant & I have had a lot of nausea this pregnancy so I was drinking A LOT of sweetened lemonade & sugary foods like cupcakes & muffins. I failed my one hour glucose so I went in for the 3 hour. I passed on the high side. So they sent me to an endocrinologist & nutritionist saying that I was borderline gest. diab. I had to test my blood 4 times a day. I STOPPED drinking lemonade, eating white bread (stopped all carbs I could), no sweets & my bloodwork came back PERFECT! So I say YES, carbs & sweets will cause gest diab. So now I eat whole grain bread, plain yogurt with fruit that I put in, lots of unsalted dry roasted nuts, Milk, cheeses, roast beef & lots of veggies. You can have one waffle or two pancakes, that's OK. But try to eat fruit & nuts too! GL. I am speaking from experience too. :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:39 AM on May. 5, 2011