Are they really sorry, or just sorry they were arrested?

All but one of the defendants in the Phoebe Price case have struck plea deals, which reduce their charges to misdemeanor harassment and no jail time. The pleas include teary statements about how sorry they are for what they've done.  A year later, and no consequences but probation and some media attention.  Do you think they're really sorry about what they did, or are they just sorry they got caught?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:40 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd be willing to bet all my money that they were just sorry they were caught. Sometimes I think people get off far too lightly in the justice system...
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 7:44 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I hate this story, I can't believe two seniors were having sex with a new student so soon and so young. I really think they just preyed on her when she walked in the door of the school
    IMO there should have been no plea deals, and the sentences should have been much stronger.
    I don't think they were sorry, I do think they were sorry they got caught and their parents could do little about it.
    Welcome to America Phoebe.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:45 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't know anything about this particular case but in general I dont think you can judge what's in someone's heart that way we can never really be sure if someone is is genuinely remorseful or not
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I can't believe two seniors were having sex with a new student so soon and so young. <<-- Believe it!! I work in a High School... they are having sex... trust me!!

I live in MA... So this story is on a lot... IMO... They are sorry they got caught!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:56 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i didn't know anything about this case but i took my time to read the links before answering. i am 100% sure they never expected their bullying to lead to Phoebe's suicide, and now that thought is something they will take to their own graves, knowing it was their fault. unless they have not a shred of humanity in them, i think they probably do feel remorseful and ashamed. i do believe their punishment should have included jailtime, though. they were responsible for a girl's death, how can community service and probation even begin to justify that?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:02 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Can't possibly know...but probably just pissed they have to pay consequences...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I'm going to be the devil's advocate here.....

They're human, they probably had no idea their actions would result in the girl committing suicide.....if they don't feel an ounce of guilt or shame for their actions, then they are not human.

I think this will haunt them fro the rest of their lives. They're sociopaths if otherwise....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:07 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i agree they all should have done time....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on May. 5, 2011

• As others have said, most criminals are just sorry they got caught, and fake it so that their sentences will be reduced.

However, without actually seeing them as they were pleading, I have no way of knowing whether they were genuine or if they were just acting to get their sentence reduced. I honestly feel that in some cases, saying "I'm sorry" shouldn't get anything reduced simply because it was so bad (as in this case).

And its quite possible that they didn't realize their bullying would turn out like this, and that they were truly sorry. Its definitely a wake up call for them, and for the rest of America. I certainly hope that teachers will start paying more attention to what is going on in the halls, outside the school walls, and in bathrooms now.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I think they are probably at least a little sorry for what they did.  From reading the article and watching the videos it seems as though there is a willingness to pass the buck when it came to her suicide. I have to wonder if the defense is that there were other mitigating factors that caused her to take her own life.  If that's the case, then these kids are listening to defense attorneys saying that while what they did wasn't nice and was harassing, that they aren't the reason she killed herself.

I think anyone that wants to justify their criminal behavior will accept any reason possible. I think with time they will start to understand the impact that they made and the damage they caused. At least I hope so.  I think some time in the clink would have helped them get there faster.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on May. 5, 2011