My daughter the Republican....sorry Democrats

As I have said before...my 8 yr old dd watches the news often. She also likes some of the news talk shows. Last night on the way to dinner she pops off with "Mom...the Democrats are like Robin Hood." My husband and I looked at each other in confusion before asking her to explain. Her answer??? "They steal from the rich to give to the poor" I didn't know her views were that strong...but she had me dying from laughter.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:03 AM on May. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I for one am all for what works for YOU and YOUR child. The unsolicited opinions of others on whether YOUR child who they don't know, don't contribute to her upbringing and don't parent her every day do not matter on this subject so you don't need to defend it. Period.

And I like your kid. A lot. I wish more parents trusted their kids' intellect enough to let them have access to information about their world. Something tells me we would have a lot less kids who end up on Failbook and the like for sheer ignorance of what's around them if more did.
    klmadison

Answer by klmadison at 10:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Smart kid, remember Robin Hood was a good guy!

Answer by older at 8:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Kid view of things. IMO she is to young to be watching the news that much. Might stress her out or something.

Answer by louise2 at 8:14 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i do agree with louise 2 on this one. i wouldnt want my child discussing politics with teachers at school..i could see it now. "so kids, how was your weekend." .."oh great, watched some CNN and john stewart." i do remember going to school with some kids like that. smarty pants. it is nice to be aware of whats going on but i do think there should be a limit for children
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My DD is not allowed to watch the news. She is 9.

There is too much negativity on the news. I don't want her listening to 1/2 the stuff on there. She is studying politics & current events in school right now, so i let the teacher teach her what she feels is appropriate for her to know & understand.

I also talk to her about current events if i feel she should know. But, no news until she is older. She doesn't need to know most of the stuff they talk about, like the little girl that was caged for a year....or the young women who was brutally raped the other night....i would rather keep that information from her until she gets a bit older....no need for her to know that stuff....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on May. 5, 2011

• ...........................as opposed to exploiting the poor to further the wealth of the rich.... I'd rather the rich give to those who dont have. But hey, thats the humanitarian in me. I am glad your daughter is aware of the world around her, despite disagreement!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:06 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We like for her to be aware of what is going on. If there is something that she doesn't understand on the news then we discuss it. We are a military family....both my husband and I serve....we want her prepared. I didn't post this so you could criticize the fact I let my kid watch the news. I posted it because I thought the comment was funny.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yup. I agree klmadison....I would trust her vote in a presidential election way more than some other people I have met. My dd can talk intellegently on much of what is going on in the world. She knows more about geography than many adults. When she saw that Bin Laden had been killed....she wanted to see on a map where it happened.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Being aware of whats happening in the world is ok. I just hope she is not stressing out on all the news. Some kids do. We are just trying to make you aware of the other side of your kid watching the news that is all.

Answer by louise2 at 12:13 PM on May. 5, 2011

• She chooses to watch the news. She has the option to not watch it. She actually likes to watch the news. If she doesn't know what's going on it stresses her out.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on May. 5, 2011