Arrgghhh....it's that time.

Yesterday was the day for comments from my child....because at dinner she asked a question I was just not ready to answer.

"Mom! If I was three when you got married; then how did I get in your belly?"

Hubby was quick to distract her. Now I have to get my stuff together for this conversation.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:05 AM on May. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is the man you are married to this child father?
    I told my oldest daughter once. "You do not have to be married to have a baby.

Answer by louise2 at 8:09 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Tell the child the truth in language the child understand.

Answer by louise2 at 8:11 AM on May. 5, 2011

• He is her Daddy....but not her biological father. She knows all this.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Well my son saw wedding pictures and started talking about it like he was there. lol He was born like 13 months after my wedding! He found it too simple to hear I was cut for him to be delivered so he started asking HOW he got in there. I forget what I told him but later I recall him telling me I ate him. I know I never told him THAT
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:11 AM on May. 5, 2011

• LOL Thatboy.... When I was pregnant with my dd; my neice came up and pulled up my shirt....She was looking for my zipper. When she didn't find it she ran back to her Mama to tell her she lied about how babies got in bellies.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:12 AM on May. 5, 2011

• so she knows that your husband isn't really her dad, so this was more of a birds and the bees type question? LOL ahh! the dreaded talk. have fun with that. remember to answer short and sweet, and only directly what she's asked. try not to give any extra information that might confuse her. and as always, use anatomically correct terms. i hope this helps!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:13 AM on May. 5, 2011

• LOL Nice! My niece was about 18 months when my son was born and she really didnt take notice that I even looked different. lol. Well she saw me change my shirt and once she spotted the belly her eyes got real big and she took a few steps away and just STARED at me. No blink or anything. lol I have never seen her so terrified!! She is 7 now so I'll have to remember to tell her that when she has her kids
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 9:07 AM on May. 5, 2011

• tell her the truth if she wants to know she will listen but if not she will wait until she is ready to listen it could be a curiosity thing at this point
    wifey000175554

Answer by wifey000175554 at 7:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• How old is she? I've never been married and my 7-year-old has a pretty accurate idea of where babies come from. He started asking questions about my period practically as soon as he could talk, so I didn't bother to hide it. Just tell her the truth.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 1:48 PM on May. 11, 2011