Question for Christians??

I was reading 1 John 2:12-17 today and i always get confused by bible verses like this and would love some helpful guidence. I love the lord and had a point were strayed away and then found my way back to him. When the verse says if you love the world yu cannot love God. Basically you can't have both. I love my daughter and husband very much and i always feel like the guilty when i read verses like this. I'm SO confused. I thought i was supposed to love my family more than anything. I struggle with anxiety anyways which adds to my over analyising. I feel like i'm trying to live by God's word but mess up so often. I might start working on patience and then i notice a new sin. Its a constant battle and when reading the bible i feel its so intense its asking for perfection which i know is never attainable. this gets me discouraged. Help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think that a loving God wants you to stress out so much. Most people can twist a bible verse to suit their wants. I applaud your objective but I TRULY believe that if you take Gods word in it's total you would find he wants you to live an honest life, Love your family, and worship him. All without it being so all consuming that you need ativans! Good Luck!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Here's the same verse from the Message Bible the world it's speaking of isn't your family. Hope this helps.
    1 John 12:15. Don't love the world's ways. Don't love the world's goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father.
    16. Practically everything that goes on in the world - wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important - has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him.
    17.The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out - but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Don't be discouraged. That is not from God. Also, we are not perfect and we all mess up.. we will not be perfect until we are with Jesus. If you mess up, you repent, ask for forgiveness and work to not continue in that sin.

Also Rom 8:1-3 says
    1.Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
    2.For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
    3.For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Pray before reading the bible. :) God is doing a work in your life. You can love other things and people but He must be your First love. Everything else will follow into place.

Lets see priorities:

God
    Husband/Children
    Family/Friends
    work
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• momof0304004 said it best!
    I don't see how following a religion that stresses you out is a good thing.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 9:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• nothing is wrong with loving your family!! when it says do not love the world, it means do not love the things of the world...or worldly things. i take it as sins or other "bad" things. also, dont be so focused of the things of this world that you forget about God & that he's in control. the fact that you are actively searching the Bible & care enough to ask questions so that you're doing whats right is usually a sign of a good Christian.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• The "world" in that verse refers to Satan's way of things here now, via deliberate sinful living/choices. Satan is allowed to have influence in this world for now, and the verse is a reminder that you can't have love for this wicked system (like love of money, etc) and expect to have sincere love for the Lord. Many people like to "sit on the fence", but the verse points out that we can't "have our cake and eat it too."
    Anonymous

• Loving and taking care of your family is apart of your ministry to God as a wife and mother. Your relationship with your husband and children is a representation of Christ and the Church. Your devotion to God and your family are actually synonomous. your love for your family to a degree reprsents your love for the Lord.
    Titus 2:4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children Hope this helps.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Loving the world means loving material things. God is supposed to be #1 in your book...put no one else above Him. He wants you to love your family...He wants you to love every single breathing person in this world!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Do you think Jesus loved his mother, father, siblings, friends? I think so! God loves the world - meaning God loves the people in the world. Just look at John 3:16. There's nothing wrong with loving people. But God hates worldly ways (Zech 8:17) John uses the word world in the second sense here. We shouldn't love the ways of the world.

DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008