Can chickens in your house make u sick?

we bought chickens there now about 8 weeks old, they are in my utility room, they have hay, sheddings water food heat everything that is needed. i CLEAN them everyday though u wouldnt know it and sanitize my hands after they are handled and cleaned. my question is they have a stink about them that is now maken me sick when i have to pass them to go upstairs i now dread i actully almost threw up earlyer. no matter were i go in the house i can smell the chickens. so i wasent sure if there was something that could actully be maken me sick, i can not wait for them to be able to be outside and de funk my house. so if anyone has any info i would love to hear it. again i clean them everyday but i cant take it anymore. right now raising my own chickens isent worth it, i would rather just buy eggs. lol.

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 8:20 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Health

• Chickens aren't very clean animals, even when you clean up after them a lot. Their poop stinks to high heaven, and it's not like you can house break the or anything where they only go at certain times / only go outside. So unless you are literally in there cleaning up after them every time they go, then your house is going to have that smell. However, here's some good news - according to this site, your chickens should be more than old enough to be kept outside :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:50 AM on May. 5, 2011

• its the same as having them caged. not healthy. even if you are cleaning them..there are still times they are stepping in the poo and pee or eating in it..thats gross.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:25 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Is is too cold to move them outside, yes chickens can make you sick, but at 8 weeks should be hearty enought to move to a pen/chicken coop unless it is still below freezing!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• You have no place for a hen house outside? My neighbor has chickens, he built a hen house that is like 3 feet off the ground (i think that is to help protect them from predators). The chickens roam around his yard, sometimes they go out on the street...which is OK, our street is a dead end with no traffic. He leaves the gate open and the chickens ALWAYS come home when the sun goes down.

So, you have no room to keep them outside? Yeah....chickens smell....especially if you're keeping them indoors. You can only smell my neighbors chickens when you're right next to their cage & even then, it's not horrible because it's outside.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:50 AM on May. 5, 2011

• how cold is it where you are? My neighbors chickens stay out there all winter long....but...we do live in the south. It does get freezing sometimes in the winter though....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I would think that at 8 weeks the chicks are large enough to be outside.

We don't have our chickens yet and what you describe is what I worry about the most. But we are getting ours in July, so they should be able to go out sooner.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:04 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I have never heard of keeping chickens in your house. Get those buggers a hen house.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:39 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Me either Candi. But I've never had chicks when it's been cold. I can't imagine what chick poo smells like in a house. Reminds me that it's time for me to sweep out the henhouse. Got some good fertilizer going on there. = )
    swizzleday

Answer by swizzleday at 2:16 PM on May. 5, 2011

• i have to clearify..lol im sorry. when u first buy baby chickens they have to be inside. too small to be out doors. after there about 3 months old THEN u move them to a coop. we have more then enough room outside its just waiting for them to get big enough to go outside. if i couldnt bring them outside i would NEVER have bought them. sorry for any misunderstanding.
    tabbys4

Comment by tabbys4 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on May. 5, 2011