What to do about sharing a room?

I have a boy and girl they have bunk beds and I feel they should be separated no reason other than personal to do so I am having an addition built this month I am wondering what age should kids be separated if different sex

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 8:39 AM on May. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• its the law that they cant share a room if they are over 5!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:42 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It depends on the kids. But I would say probably 10.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:42 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Honestly, I like the age guidelines (as a rough basis) that we have with military housing - they say that if they are opposite sex, when the oldest turns 6 then housing has to authorize you to have a separate bedroom for them.

Now, when my kids were that age (they 15 mos apart and opposite sex), they shared a room until our ds (he's the oldest) was about 7 yrs old.

It doesn't mean that they can't still share longer than that if they need to, but I would def say that by the time they're about 9 or 10 they should have their own space.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:44 AM on May. 5, 2011

• We are putting a partition up to seperate one big room into 2 for my skids. We can't afford to do an addition right now, so this is our alternative
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 9:05 AM on May. 5, 2011

• It really depends on the kids. Before puberty would be great. By 6 or 8 would be better.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:24 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Yea i would say definitely by 10 before that if you can help it but you know your situation so do what you gotta do .
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 11:08 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Shrug. My kids were sharing a room last year. They were 10 (girl), 8 1/2 (boy) and 7 1/2 (girl). They had no issues sharing. They were so used to it. My son had his own room from age 3-5 but every single night he would sneak into his sisters' room and sleep on the floor by their beds so when we moved we just gave the 3 of them the big bedroom to share. We just moved last summer and now my son has his own room again and a lot of time he still crashes on the floor in the girls' room.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:30 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son will be 11 next month and I have a 7 year old daughter. They've shared a room for a few years already. We have bunk beds and they each have their side of the room. This isn't ideal by any means but we can't afford to move into a 3 bedroom just yet. They have had rules in place though..such as when the door is closed they have to knock and I have had to give them each their own time in the room alone while the other finds something to do on the computer, outside, or the living room. Of course every child should have their own space but not everyone is fortunate enough.

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 9:23 AM on May. 5, 2011

• My kids were together. I separated at 4 and 6. Mostly because I wanted to make my daughter's room girly.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on May. 5, 2011

• WHEN THEY NOTICE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT PARTS AND BECOME VERY AWARE OF IT.
    mommy2bee12-27

Answer by mommy2bee12-27 at 2:10 PM on May. 5, 2011