How do I stop my 3 year olds aggressive behavior? It has become very stressful......

Jakey is a loving three year old who has begun to hit, kick, pinch, and bite his sister (5years old) and step brothers (10 and 12) He does not listen when someone says no and seems to have become oppositioanl. I am a special educator and I work with children with problem behavior but am losing patience with my own child.....HELP!!!

LeslieBurns

Asked by LeslieBurns at 8:43 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is very likely he has learned the bahavior from his older siblings. This behavior is the way he can get a reaction from the older children. Just keep being consistent and removing him from the situation and put in time out. Ask why and give him alternative methods of dealing with the frustration. Role play using these methods.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:49 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Do you like Supernanny? Just do the time outs and be CONSISTENT! Come on, as a special educator, you know this! Just recommit yourself. Pick a goal, work on one goal with the kid, and don't be all over the place. C'mon mom, you have the power, you can do this. Maybe you need some time away from the kids, even an hour a day or something.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:50 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Is he just bored? Make time weekly for just you & him alone to go to the library for toddler playtime & crafts or the playground. Also have your DH make a day for him too. Sometimes even though kids have siblings to play with, it's not the same as playing with kids his own age and they also need to spend alone time with parents too. How about preschool two or three days a week?? GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:26 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I thank you all for your comments......I should probobly add that he is in daycare 5 days a week with only one other boy who he doesn't always get a long with. He is a young 3 and was not old enough for preschool programs in my area. He will be starting in the fall, which I think will help. He has a lot of energy and is always busy, I think that he gets frustrated being so much younger than the two older boys. He wants to play with them all the time and be just like them and he can't always.....maybe alone time will be great
    LeslieBurns

Comment by LeslieBurns (original poster) at 10:42 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with the alone time and ask the older boys to include him in play once in a while. Kickball, baseball, etc. Nothing violent. He may be old enough for soccer or t-ball too. Having an outlet to release some energy may help the behaviors as well. Especially if his older brothers aren't involved and he can make his own friends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 AM on May. 5, 2011