I am weaning my 12 month old. only one side has dried up and the other continues to produce. please help

brandiebean

Asked by brandiebean at 9:13 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It takes time to dry up completely, depending on many factors. Try to pump/nurse as little as possible (only if you need relief). If you're in pain, raw cabbage leaves in your bra will help. Good luck!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:19 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I still leeked milk, almost three years after I had nursed my daughter. Medical fact: any woman whom as achieved 5 months gestation in a pregnancy can produce breast milk and only a very small % if women completely dry up after breast feeding. But as far as comfort goes, space your nursing out more day by day. It is true that placing raw cabage leves in your bra will help to relive discomfort from ingorgement.
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 10:52 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Milk can be there a year after weaning. This is normal. You can go on an estrogen birth control like YAZ to be dry before this weekend is through. Remember that birth control has its attendant risks, as outlined in the package disclosures. Producing milk merely produces puddles. **grin**

You're NORMAL.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:00 AM on May. 5, 2011