Starting baby on solids

I spoke to the Health Visitor about Baby's food, he gets hungry but it's a real struggle to get him to drink his milk anymore, she said he might be sick of milk now as he's coming up to 4 months, and she said I should try him on baby rice, slowly introducing different fruits and veggies. Isn't it a bit soon yet though? I thought 6 months was normal to start on baby food?

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 9:23 AM on May. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dr. told me to start rice cereal at 2 mo. when my dd was a baby. Then at 4 mo. I started fruits and veg. Just one at a time to see how well they tolerate it. With my ds, I started cereal before he was 2 mo. old. He had reflux and was not gaining weight well, so the added cereal helped.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:26 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Solid foods aren't a substitute for formula or breastmilk before 12 months. I'm not sure what a Health Visitor is though. When my oldest (now 13) was a baby they recommended starting cereal at 4 months, and some drs still okay that particularly for formula babies, but the general rule of thumb now is 6 months.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Health Visitor needs to brush up on what baby needs if she is going to be telling moms how to feed baby. Sick of milk? Really? That is the dumbest statement I have heard about a 4 month old in a long time.

Baby is not sick of milk. He needs mainly milk for the first year of his life - breast or formula - is the most important nutrient provider. Solids are being introduced but should not be the main food.

He might need some extra food, especially if the milk isn't satisfying him. I would skip cereals and start with a yellow veggie like squash. He might also need more milk at longer intervals. So instead of feeding every 3 hours he might be able to go to 3.5 or 4.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:29 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I agree with missanc... did they consider teething? A lot of 4 months olds are starting to get teeth and can stray from the bottle while they are coming in.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:30 AM on May. 5, 2011

• AngieBry~ All 4 of my kids were the exact same way! We actually started rice with my youngest at 3 weeks though, just a little in his bottle... His reflux was the worst of all my kids.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:40 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Some people do start at four months and of course the baby food companies advise to start at four months but that is mostly so they can profit more. I started my children on solids around 7 months, but I was also breastfeeding. Which meets ALL of their nutritional needs up until they are 1 year of age. So for me the baby food was nothing more then a "filler". As long as you introduce one new item at a time, and wait on any meats for atleast 3 to 5 more months you will not harm the baby by giving them solids at this time. Expecially if you are formula feeding.
    Motherdragon

Answer by Motherdragon at 10:43 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Health Visitor? She was promoting UNhealthy practice. Solids are secondary, all through year one.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Just to clear up, my health visitor didn't say I should STOP formula and start on solids, she advised I mix formula with baby rice and fruit to make it more interesting for baby.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 12:40 PM on May. 5, 2011

• OP, I believe that will hurt your babys belly. Rice cereal has no nutrition.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 9:05 PM on May. 5, 2011